Rebel smokers

EverettBBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone using the Rebel 1700 or 2300 for competition?
How hot does the bottom shelf run?
Thanks

I just picked up a rebel 28 and I had its first cook with me last weekend in Long Island. I could tell the lower shelves were running hotter than the upper so i cooked on the upper decks. I don't know exactly the variance or if things start to even out over time but I just got some new probes in the mail today so ill do some tests and have some answers for you soon.

I can tell you that so far I am very happy with this cooker!

I have been cooking on the Rebel 28 all year, and LOVE it. The bottom shelf runs a little hotter. It holds temp and cooks like a dream. The guys who designed them are here locally in the STL area. If you need any further info, send me a PM. Happy to help.

So I did my test burn with probes in my rebel 28 and here are my findings. I used a stoker fan from the beginning. I shut the exhaust by 1/2 once it hit 250

Hit 250 on smokers temp gauge after 45min

Top left 280
Top right 264
Middle 250(this probe was set to the blower)
Bottom left 320
Bottom right 242

After 1h smoker temp gauge at 240

Top left 235
Top right 253
Middle 247
Bottom left 243
Bottom right 256

After 2h smokers temp gauge at 245

Top left 235
Top right 257
Middle 250
Bottom left 243
Bottom right 257

After 3h smoker temp gauge at 245

Top left 236
Top right 261
Middle 250
Bottom left 242
Bottom right 260

Hope this helps, keep in mind there was no meat on during this test!

I have a stumps which runs very similarly to the rebel. I can tell you that initially the firebox side is hotter and it gets hotter as you go lower/closer to the fire. Though after an hour or 2 everything begins to even out.

I like my Rebel 28 and have found almost the same temperatures with big spikes after the door is open for the bottom shelf. I am looking at changing my shelf spacing to have ore than 1 shelf to have 6" clearance as well as adding a water tray to smooth out the temps. It is a great cooker but I think it can be better with a few minor tweeks. I am a big fan of the Rebel and love it more after each cook.

So I did my test burn with probes in my rebel 28 and here are my findings. I used a stoker fan from the beginning. I shut the exhaust by 1/2 once it hit 250

Hit 250 on smokers temp gauge after 45min

Top left 280
Top right 264
Middle 250(this probe was set to the blower)
Bottom left 320
Bottom right 242

After 1h smoker temp gauge at 240

Top left 235
Top right 253
Middle 247
Bottom left 243
Bottom right 256

After 2h smokers temp gauge at 245

Top left 235
Top right 257
Middle 250
Bottom left 243
Bottom right 257

After 3h smoker temp gauge at 245

Top left 236
Top right 261
Middle 250
Bottom left 242
Bottom right 260

Hope this helps, keep in mind there was no meat on during this test!

I'm not currently in the market for one of these, but wanted to say thanks for going through the effort to take these readings and post them here. This kind of stuff is extremely helpful and adds to what makes this forum great.:thumb::thumb:

We have used the 23 for a year now in competition and love it. It can handle all four meats. It helps if you put a switch in the blower circuit to shut the fan off when the door is opened. The lower shelf does run hotter. Love the Rebel though.

I've got a rebel 28 and it cooks perfectly!
Once the temp settles in all the shelves are pretty similar.

Back