• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chucky Side by Side Throwdown: Butcher Paper vs. Foil!

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Chucky is on sale at a local market so I decided to pick up a couple and do a little side by side comparison of one cooked wrapped in butcher paper (BP) and another in foil. These two were cooked as close to old Virginia style as I can get right now. Here are the details.

The Cooker: Bubba Keg
The Meat: Two ~2.5 pound chuckies
Rub: Salt & Pepper
Smoke: Oak Chunks
Temp: 300*-325*
Cook time before wrapping: 1 hour 15 minutes
Cook time after wrapping: ~2 hours
Done: When the meat probed like buttah
Rest: 30 minutes

Here is a side by side while resting.

picture.php

The BP wrapped chucky.

picture.php

The foil wrapped chucky.

picture.php

And, especially at this time of year, beware of the ravages of vegetarianism!

picture.php

Side by side before slicing and chopping. BP wrapped on left, foil wrapped on right.

picture.php

BP wrapped chucky sliced and chopped.

picture.php

Foil wrapped chucky sliced and chopped.

picture.php

BP sliced and chopped on left. Foil sliced and chopped on right.

picture.php

Conclusions:

Both were delicious!

The BP wrapped chucky most certainly had a firmer bark.

The foil wrapped chucky took about 20 minutes less cook time to reach the target tenderness.

Ultimately, you can't go wrong either way. But, if you like a little more chew in the bark, the BP is the way to go.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
It looked like the foil wrapped was more moist. Would you concur? Thanks, good stuff...

There was some very minor differences in moisture content between the foiled and BP wrapped. But, based on past cooks, I'm not sure that it can't be atrributed to the differences in the meat itself.

More trials are called for, darn it! :laugh:

That sound great Bo, can't wait to see pics tomorrow. This not being able to see your pictures thing is really chapping my arse.

Two roads diverged in the woods, but they both led to an awesome place. Of course, Boshizzle just walked through the woods and ignored the roads...and got to an awesome place!

Interesting side by side.
Never wrapped with butcher paper. Gonna have to try it out.
Thanks for sharing

I'm really feeling for ya Bo.........taking on such a tedious, pain staking, laborious task......such self sacrifice and dedication for the Brethren:heh:.

Kidding aside, Thanks a bunch, interesting side by side and some great lookin food....winner winner chicken.........er....beef dinner!

That's a great comparison, thanks for posting.

For those of us outside the US, is the paper waxed/siliconed or not, and/or can you provide a link to a retailer's description so we can find similar products where we live?

Nice experiment Bo, I like the looks of the BP better..as you stated a firmer bark. I looked at the photos without reading the text to make an opinion. They both look great but the BP version has the edge.

I need to try this BP stuff :thumb:

Thanks for taking one for the team Bo! Your relentless pursuit of the Truth, no matter where it may take you, is to be commended! :clap2:

Back