Mad Science Experiment - Spammy Dean Fatty

"I pressed it thin and cooked it well similar to the way they do burgers at Winsteads..."

Oh that brings back memories of my youth back in KC in the 50's and 60's....:grin:

This is possibly the greatest thing I have ever heard of. I know it's not "real meat" but I have loved SPAM ever since I was a little kid. Bad upbringing, I guess.

i'm so excited. feel like a kid in the candy store.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

The fatties are DONE!!!

The Spammy Dean sausage fatty, the one made from all Spam and Bacon and seasoned to taste like Jimmy Dean, did not hold together too well during the removal process. It didn't really want to hold together too well overall really. Here is a pic of the finished products.

Spammy_Dean_Done.jpg

Starting in back from left to right is the regular Jimmy Dean control fatty, the Spam/Bacon grind mixed with regular Jimmy Dean fatty, and the one on the right is the pure Spammy Dean made from only Spam, Bacon and seasonings. Up front there is the control Spam.

I couldn't get a good clean slice off of the Spammy Dean fatty, it was just too crumbly. So I pulled off a chunk and took a picture of it.
Spammy_Dean_chunk.jpg

It tasted FANTASTIC! It tasted somewhat similar to a regular fatty, but with a certain zing which I'm sure was from the Spam and Bacon. I took a slice of the regular fatty to do some side-by-side taste comparisons. The taste was very similar in many ways except the Spammy Dean was better. It was more exciting and the taste just sort of jumped out at ya!

Next I sliced off the end of the other Fatty, the one made from the Spam/Bacon grind mixed with regular Jimmy Dean sausage. Here is a pic.
Spammy_Dean_slice.jpg

It tasted different from the other two fatties. It was good, but I thought the other Spammy Dean was much better (although crumbly). I did some side-by-side taste testing between it, the regular fatty, and the Spammy Dean. This one had some taste of regular breakfast sausage fatty, but the Spam/Bacon mix toned it down and made it more like a smoked sausage with some breakfast sausage seasonings in a way. Ypou could taste the Spam about as equally as you could the breakfast sausage.

For the final taste rankings of the fatties, the Spammy Dean was the best in my opinion, by a fairly wide margin. The regular fatty and the mixed one were about equal in flavor pleasure in my opinion.

the Spammy Dean had a major drawback in crumbliness however. The one mixed with some Jimmy Dean however held together fine. Maybe if I did a mix of Spammy Dean and Jimmy Dean I would get the best of both worlds? Maybe I will try that in a future experiment.

For now however, I have Spammy Dean's to go eat...

My 13 year old son just got home from school. I asked him to sample a slice of each of the 3 fatties. He said the Spammy Dean had the most flavor and he liked it the best. He liked the mixed one second best, making the regular fatty come in last (in his opinion anyway).

The funny part is, I offered him some of the Spam and he reminded me that he HATES Spam. I asked, "Are you sure"? He said, "Oh yeah, remember, I tried it once and I hated it".

I didn't have the heart to tell him what his two favorite sausages were made from.:biggrin:

Classic! Experimenting with Fatties...what could be a better excuse to cook more fatties.

Does Jimmy know about his new brother Spammy?

Ladies and Gentlemen (ok, ladies for most of you), I will be so bold as to say the regular fatty is now obsolete. Long live Spammy Dean!

I'm drinking a beer now, stuffed out of my gourd after a boys night "in" fatty feeding frenzy! My 13 year old is laying on the couch watching TV saying how stuffed he is. My 8 year old autistic son even got in on the action. He saw us eating the sausage and asked for some. At one point, he grabbed a big chunk off the Spammy Dean and ran off with it!:lol:

There is only about 1/3 of the original Spammy Dean left. There is still almost all of the regular fatty and the mixed fatty, and the Spam only got one slice taken out of it by me during the taste testings.

This stuff is too good. At least my kids are young and in good health and this hopefully will not kill them. As for me, this could very well be my last beer. Man was not meant to live on Spammy Dean alone, but that is basically what we ate tonight!

funny how it didn't stay together. maybe an egg should be added ? sounds like a good idea. now i gotta get a grinder---------

funny how it didn't stay together. maybe an egg should be added ? sounds like a good idea. now i gotta get a grinder---------
That would probably work. I'll be doing this again for sure, so if you don't beat me to it, I will give it a shot.:cool:

didnt stay together because spam is already cooked, so after you ground it lost all its "binding" properties.....egg binder as another said may work

Funny how that works. The proper recipe may be Spam, Bacon, Eggs and Spam. Insert Monty Python skit here.

Another great spam receipe. there is so much you can do with spam

This was among the most fascinating posts I have ever read...dude...you are like...MeatGyver or something!:biggrin:

MeatGyver!:lol: Funny!

If this was a success, and if I can simply get the binding problem fixed with egg then I guess it is a success, then I was thinking Spam/Bacon sausage opens up a whole new world of things. Instead of seasoning it like breakfast sausage, make some Spratwurst, or KielSpama, or Spamdouille, or Italian Spammage.

Or maybe a Spam/Bacon fatty stuffed with pineapple with a Teriyaki glaze.......

Chris, I don' think I'd use egg in it!! Yuck! Try something like olive oil or some pork fat.

That would change the fat content though. I guess as long as it doesn't melt that would be OK, but too much fat could be a bad thing. I have smoked meatloaf before with basically 1 egg per 2 pounds of meat. Couldn't taste the egg. I won't know until I try it I guess.

Back