NB black Diamond Mods

This has been gone for a long time, but here are some pics of some of the mods I did on a $15 rustbucket New Braunfels offset.

I removed the firebox and added a baffle/heat diverter that covered a good portion of the opening and directed the heat under the cook grates.

Applied a length of Rutland rope stove gasket between the f/box and cook tube, used high temp Permatex silicone to make a gasket on the cook tube door-it was actually pretty tight!

100_1468.jpg

100_1465.jpg

Extended the exhaust vent with a piece of flashing down to the cook grate level.

100_1466.jpg

12"x12" perf steel charcoal basket

100_1467.jpg

4 wheel drive!

100_1463.jpg

Sold it for $125

Does anyone have pics and measurments for charcoal basket and baffle mods for second gen NBBD?

Not to kill your momentum with the project, but ditch the charcoal basket idea. Offsets are all about airflow and putting a 12x12x12 basket full of charcoal in the way isn't going to help. Yeah you will get a longer burn time but IMHO it won't be better than building a true fire with a bed of charcoal and splits or chunks laid on top. It will require more babysitting but that is the nature of the beast with an offset. If you want the "set and forget" style with rock solid temps for hours, go with a vertical cooker(WSM/UDS/BGE). Just something to consider and think about.

Of course, using a charcoal basket isn't against the rules! Do what feels right.. :mrgreen:

This has been gone for a long time, but here are some pics of some of the mods I did on a $15 rustbucket New Braunfels offset.

I removed the firebox and added a baffle/heat diverter that covered a good portion of the opening and directed the heat under the cook grates.

Applied a length of Rutland rope stove gasket between the f/box and cook tube, used high temp Permatex silicone to make a gasket on the cook tube door-it was actually pretty tight!

100_1468.jpg

100_1465.jpg

Extended the exhaust vent with a piece of flashing down to the cook grate level.

100_1466.jpg

12"x12" perf steel charcoal basket

100_1467.jpg

4 wheel drive!

100_1463.jpg

Sold it for $125

How wide and long is the firebox baffle you made? Was it worth the effort?

How wide and long is the firebox baffle you made? Was it worth the effort?

Like I said this went away a few years ago so my memory recall on the specs are sketchy, but the deflector bolted on to the f/box fasteners and the bend was such that it was just under the cook grates @4-6". I also had tried some steel plates and foiled bricks in the bottom of the cook tube take up space so more heat went to the meats instead of heating the tube area.

To be totally honest, it just was not the cooker for me, it required too much babysitting and I'd moved on to BGE's WSM's and UDS's that were more enjoyable to me to cook with so it went bye bye. The guy I sold it to uses it for a grill, just like the person I got it from!

Back