Kettle Sicilians, crispy kale with smoked Andouille & a plain

Zippylip

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I bake a ton of Sicilian pies but never outdoors because I can’t fit a reasonable size sheet pan on the large egg. One day I was looking at my kettle and figured with the side baskets I picked up earlier this year it creates a very large rectangular indirect zone that would be perfect for what I’m trying to do. Now it doesn’t fit a normal size ½ sheet pan (which I think is 13 x 18 ) so I poked around & found these 10x15 ‘jelly roll’ pans. They have one inch sides which are perfect for Sicilian pie & these things fit beautifully between the side baskets avoiding any direct heat to the bottom. One standard batch of dough split into two pieces fills these nicely; after the initial rise, roll out flat & then lay into the well olive oiled pans & let rise again.

One chimney full of Kingsford split between the sides wide open gets me between 425 & 450 degrees which is what I bake them inside at; each pie takes about 25 minutes.

Here's the dough just before the second rise:

009_zps48a686d3.jpg

crispy fried kale & smoked andouille sausage:

014_zps297cfc1b.jpg

About two hours later the dough filled the pan so I topped it & onto the kettle:

016_zps1befd6df.jpg

by the way here’s the set up (ceramic egg feet to prop the side baskets as close to the sides as possible to give the widest indirect zone possible, about 10 inches:

015_zps01956eea.jpg

about 15 minutes into the first pie:

020_zps3c4339b1.jpg

about 10 minutes later:

022_zpsbec12de6.jpg

024_zps803023f9.jpg

for the second pie I added my raised grid, the bottom of the first pie wasn’t quite golden brown the way I wanted it. This set up ended up getting the bottom much nicer and also gets the toppings closer to the dome for better radiant heat, all around a much better place to cook the pie with this configuration:

027_zpsf4ac2b0d.jpg

pie number two, much better, will add the raised grid to all future cooks:

036_zpsb617ab1b.jpg

here’s the temp close to the end of the second pie:

026_zps5897b55d.jpg

All things considered I think it was a successful first run, next time around I may increase the cooking time to 30 minutes per pie for better color, & may stack a few extra briquettes on top of each side just to be sure :heh::

035_zps1ea5697d.jpg

031_zps9483db86.jpg

037_zps3d539f0e.jpg

Have a good weekend, Marc

Back