Have you ever eaten Horse meat?

Beerbecue

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I sometimes check out the German/European BBQ forums and I noticed they sometimes cook horse steaks and horse roasts. I've never even seen or heard of horse meat in an American meat store. Have any of you seen it for sale or eaten horse meat?

I haven't. I would definitely check it out though. Phubar cooked some up a while back.

Ate it in Paris a few years ago. Was ground and made into a patty type of thing but larger than a burger patty (minute steak?). It was okay, nothing spectacular. i'm too used to nice marbled, fatty American meat I guess. Besides, larger animals like horses run around too much to have tender meat in my opinion. I would eat it again if it was the only meat on the menu.

Back in the 60's McDonald's was being investigated for adding to the meat pile.

If I have, I did not know it.

My wife had it in Mexico, when she was young and visiting family. She doesn't recall it fondly. I think I read somewhere, maybe here, that horse was soon to be legal for retail sale, here in the USA. Having owned a horse, not sure if I'd try it. I know it's just a mental thing, like eating dog or cat (which I hear is really stringy, according to my dad. He had it in Vietnam)

Matt

In Italy they make salami out of donkeys. Something de asino.

It's an American hang up, just like dolphins. Why not eat a dolphin? If you say because it is a mammal, I am coming for your beef, pork, and horse.

My dad has ate it before, he said it was stringy and tough. He said it was when he was stationed in Korea while in the Army in 1968. :icon_blush:

Having butchered a donkey once for dog meat, I'd pass. Stanky stuff.

If some one wanted some horse meat, I have a source. I don't feed it to the family as my girls will already have too many stories to tell on me. The judge and psychiatrist may see their side of it. (You know when they are old enough to have me committed)

We often went down to Mexico when I was young. I remember when I was about 5 being near a border town. I think we were in the area to see some native American dancing. Somewhere out in the middle of nowhere we pulled off on the side of the road and a group of ranchers were cooking meat on spits over a fire. The pit was brick and it had a metal roof on top to protect from the sun, and there were a lot of flies around. Very much like a spaghetti western. This really was out in the middle of nowhere. We had some bread with chunks of meat on the side. It was the best farkin' meat I ever had. It tasted like nothing I ever had before and ever had since. I still remember the flavor of it to this day. I kept asking my parents what kind of meat it was because I knew it was different. Days later I found out it was horse, but nobody wanted to tell me, like I even cared. I have no idea how that would compare to the horse meat you'd get now.

No, in America, it just seems wrong to eat Trigger.

I won't eat Felix or Fido either.

Sent from my Android phone.

It is entirely possible I ate meat from a very old horse, but my BIL called it steak. It was too thick to be cowhide, so I can only guess what it was before it died a horrible death on his grill.

CD

I had it in Mexico. I'm pretty sure I've eaten dog too. That was closer to South America though. Neither case was in a restaurant, it was more like... that was the meat that was there.

Back