Cooking in the Snow?

u-joint

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Merry Christmas everyone!

I was planning on smoking a turkey breast tomorrow, but after seeing the most recent weather forcast I am second guessing myself.

They are calling for a low of 16 with the high only being 32. Additionally they are saying:

A wintry mix in the morning, becoming all snow in the afternoon. Windy. Cold. Temps nearly steady in the low to mid 30s. Winds NNE at 20 to 30 mph. 1 to 3 inches of snow expected.

If I smoke it, this will be my first attempt at smoking in anything quite as rough as this. Any tips? Do you think we should just play it safe and cook indoors?

My little chargriller does have a few drafts, lol.
attachment.php

Metal is pretty thin on those cookers, my suggestion is to start it in the smoker, throw the smoke to that turkey tit, then take it in the house, fix yourself a drink, and finish it in the oven. You'l have your smoke flavor and not freeze your azz off at the same time.
Happy cooking!

If you have some ply wood you can put up as a wind break put that up around your dampers, as the wind is the enemy for smoking.

The cold weather won't do much other than cause you to use more fuel. PWA has a thread where he smoked 70lbs of pork butt on 2 uninsulated UDS's in -43F weather in Alaska. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149883)

If you are having problems holding temp, you can use burlap bag/sheets, welders blanket, or moving blankets over the smoker to help retain heat.

Worse case scenario is to impart smoke flavor into the turkey on the smoker and then move to oven to finish.

• Thanks
Reactions: pwa
Thanks for the tips and encouragement guys. I am going to read that thread now.

I don't think I have any large plywood, just smaller scraps. I do have a tarp, maybe with some rope I can construct a "wall" to one side of the grill.

Last edited:
I have a detached garage. I put the UDS in there and it seems to be fine. I am going to hae to install and exhaust fan though.

If I remember correctly your uds is to the point where you could finish assembling that in short time. Throw that thang together and hit it up, man. My uds likes the snow...........
If I confused you with someone else building a uds I offer my humble apologies, Sir.

If I remember correctly your uds is to the point where you could finish assembling that in short time. Throw that thang together and hit it up, man. My uds likes the snow...........
If I confused you with someone else building a uds I offer my humble apologies, Sir.

No sir, you've got it correct :biggrin1:

The only thing left is some welding on my charcoal basket, but I probably shouldn't tempt fate (e.g., the wife). She's already upset I took over her kitchen to clean out the cooler for the turkey :lol:

Here she is, with everything attached sans basket.

Attachments

• 2012-12-23 16.45.03.jpg
    2012-12-23 16.45.03.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 170
A moving blanket will be your best bet. It will keep the heat in.

I use one on my Meadow Creek TS-250.

You would not believe the difference it makes.

wallace

They are calling for a low of 16 with the high only being 32. Additionally they are saying:

Wind is your big killer, the ambient air temp is easy to over come, just use more fuel. Adding a blankets, insulation all helps keep the temp in the smoker and use less fuel. If it really windy out try to to move the smoker were the wind don't hit it, park a truck/car to block the wind. Good luck!!

Thanks pwa!

I read your thread, and I kinda feel silly being worried about a low of _only_ 16. Good job on the great cooking! I don't think I would have even gone outside if it was that cold, lol.

• Thanks
A plywood windbreak sounds like a great solution. You might/will have trouble holding temp with cold and wind. Good luck and Merry, Merry!

It's been snowing here most of the day, and we're smoking Christmas ribs in the morning. Get out there and smoke! You'll have braggin' rights!! :thumb:

You must be from the us. Canucks are just tougher with the climate i guess. Its -12f right now and ive got a brisket in didnt even think twice about it.

You must be from the us. Canucks are just tougher with the climate i guess. Its -12f right now and ive got a brisket in didnt even think twice about it.

There ya go trying to start another border war.
I cook outside in the cold for half the year on a CharGriller, follow the advice you got from the others and you'll be all set, just expect to use more fuel than you normally do.

This turned out to be a small storm, only about 8"-

12-21002.jpg

This was the outside air temp at 8am on SuperBowl Sunday last year-

Superbowlcook3.jpg

You guys have convinced me that I can do this. The bird just went on about 20 minutes ago, and the char grilled is holding temp at 225.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356453190.210176.jpg

Thanks all, having a merry Christmas.

• Thanks
Rock on, give us the final pron shots of the bird done!

Back