Dear CBJ that gave me a comment card

jbrink01

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
at Glasgow MO, box #205. Thank you! It was constructive criticism and very well taken. You scored me 8 9 9 on my ribs and you took time to point out a minor change in presentation that will help me improve my consistency. You are what judging is all about, you seem to actually care about cooks improving.

Some of you might wonder about the other scores. My ribs scored:
988, 899, 987, 988, 998, 887

I love comment cards for 8s where the judge is telling you what it would have taken to get to a 9.

I got a very similar comment card for the exact same score a judge gave me on my pork a few contests back. We have received probably 10 comment cards in our time--both positive and negative--and almost all were helpful in some way. Kudos to the judges that take the time to do this.

The couples times that I judged, I would do the same thing. There were a couple times that I gave all 9's to someone and wrote a comment card telling them how great it was too.

at Glasgow MO, box #205. Thank you! It was constructive criticism and very well taken. You scored me 8 9 9 on my ribs and you took time to point out a minor change in presentation that will help me improve my consistency. You are what judging is all about, you seem to actually care about cooks improving.

Glad to see some judges out there are trying to help. But keep in mind that he gave his subjective opinion and may not be what other judges are looking for.

Based on those scores it seems that you already have a handle on what you are doing. :clap2:

JBrink...that was a wonderful rib. I was that judge. Thanks for the comments on that and sorry I didn't give the 9 there.

Without divulging too much in an open forum, I can tell you that the conversation on your ribs is a major reason I started the thread about Glasgow.

Also, assuming you posted those scores as they are on the sheet, I just learned something. I was in the 4th spot at the table and my scores are the second on your lineup, so I'm assuming I was listed as judge #2.

Wow! This is cool! The judge is here on the forum.

I also think it is a great that "outnumbered" left comments on what was good. I am guilty of not filling out the comment card when things are good. :oops:

Good lesson for me as a judge.

wallace

First contest to date. I prefer to cook, but figured I better judge to see how they think. I think I'm more confused than ever.

I would say that we, as cooks, need to judge from time to time. I was not impressed with the knowledge of BBQ from the judges, but I was very impressed with their desire to listen to what my experience is. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139559

I think we owe to ourselves, other competitors and the judges to be there to present our view from time to time.

I hate it when you get two judges to give you 999 and one gives 666 and another gives 677. With no comment card with what THEY did not like. This happen at smoke on the river in Jefferson In.

So glad you got a constructive card. I've never got one I could use as constructive criticism.

By far the one that still sticks in my craw said, "you shouldn't put sliced pork in the box". Whaa? Excuse me? Really? The category isn't Pulled Pork. It's Pork.

Hey Outnumbered, thanks for the PM!! Too bad this kind of rational discussion can't occur more between judges and cooks. Cool stuff. Thanks again!

Also, assuming you posted those scores as they are on the sheet, I just learned something. I was in the 4th spot at the table and my scores are the second on your lineup, so I'm assuming I was listed as judge #2.

When the Table Captain gathers up the score cards he doesn't generally put them in any particular order. If you're sitting at seat #1 at table #5 you very well could be Judge #3 for chicken, Judge #6 for ribs, etc.

Maybe as cooks we should require ourselves to judge at least one contest each year and fill out comment cards for every single entry. This way the non-cooking judges could see this and we could explain why it is important. Just a thought.

Wouldn't we stand a better chance of changing the system this way versus having KCBS implement something?

I think what outnumbered did was great, I hope that happens for us someday.

So glad you got a constructive card. I've never got one I could use as constructive criticism.

By far the one that still sticks in my craw said, "you shouldn't put sliced pork in the box". Whaa? Excuse me? Really? The category isn't Pulled Pork. It's Pork.

That don't sound right to me.

I have never been a table captain, but my thoguht is, Shouldn't that be something the table captain should have caught and mentioned it to the judge that filled out the card?

wallace

You know I am flip - flop on the comment card.

I got two in my life. One made me mad as a hornet - it said my burnt end was way too chewy. We did not turn in burnt ends. I had to double check with my partner to make sure we didn't turn it in.

The second one was useless - something like - bad taste or too sweet.

You know I am flip - flop on the comment card.

I got two in my life. One made me mad as a hornet - it said my burnt end was way too chewy. We did not turn in burnt ends. I had to double check with my partner to make sure we didn't turn it in.

The second one was useless - something like - bad taste or too sweet.
I have that problem with giving comment cards. You do not do the cards till you have scored everything and the other judges are done. Then you write the scores down on the comment card and give your score card to the table captain. For times sake I have usually thrown the samples away before I start writing. By time I start writing I can get confused on which was which as to why I scored it if there are more than one that could benefit from a comment card.
I have only received one comment card as a cook and I am sure the judge confused me with another sample given what the comment said. keith

Last edited:
Back