Setting up 22.5 kettle for rotisserie questions...

caseydog

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I got a Cajun Bandit rotisserie for my 22.5 Weber kettle and plan to cook a chicken on it first.

How do you guys who have them set up your charcoal, drip pan, etc. under the rotisserie?

CD

One charcoal basket off to the side with drip pan directly under meat.

I don't have the Cajun bandit kit, but when I used a rotisserie on a kettle I built a fire on each side and a drip pan in the middle (just like setting up for indirect roasting).

One charcoal basket off to the side with drip pan directly under meat.

The pan will be in the middle of the charcoal grate, so you just leave the other side open?

How is the heat?

CD

I don't have the Cajun bandit kit, but when I used a rotisserie on a kettle I built a fire on each side and a drip pan in the middle (just like setting up for indirect roasting).

That was what I was thinking. What kind of temperature does that setup make?

CD

I use the two charcoal baskets on either side with the drip pan in the middle. You can get the temps to almost any range as you want up to 400+ or so depending on how hot you start the baskets at the beginning.

^^^^ This.

It's been a while, but I think I started a full chimney of briquets and put half on each side to get around 350. You may have to add briquets depending on the length of the cook.

I use the two charcoal baskets on either side with the drip pan in the middle. You can get the temps to almost any range as you want up to 400+ or so depending on how hot you start the baskets at the beginning.

I want to do about 325 to 350. Do you light all the coals for that, or pour lit on top of unlit coals?

CD

I want to do about 325 to 350. Do you light all the coals for that, or pour lit on top of unlit coals?

CD

I do charcoal on both sides with a drip pan in the middle (I use fire bricks, not a charcoal box). I fill up both sides with charcoal then drop 8-10 pieces of fully lit charcoal on top. This gets around 350* and cooks some damn good chicken.

This thread has a shot of a couple birds I cooked up right after I picked up my Weber rotisserie. I really recommend you dry brine the chicken, the results are fantastic.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107793

I do charcoal on both sides with a drip pan in the middle (I use fire bricks, not a charcoal box). I fill up both sides with charcoal then drop 8-10 pieces of fully lit charcoal on top. This gets around 350* and cooks some damn good chicken.

This thread has a shot of a couple birds I cooked up right after I picked up my Weber rotisserie. I really recommend you dry brine the chicken, the results are fantastic.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107793

What Kyle said. I set up both sides with unlit and 8 to 10 lit on top to start. Adjust your vents in the first 30 minutes to target your temp.

Thanks! I think I have a good idea where to start. My brine is cooling right now, and I'll drop the bird in it for an overnight soak.

Any more advice is certainly welcome.

CD

I have the Cajun Bandit, Weber, and EZ-Que rings, and the deal with the Cajun Bandit ring is that it's shorter and closer to the heat source of whatever firing setup you choose in your kettle, so as long as you know that, I would suggest using the Weber Char-Baskets, Rails or banking the coals to the sides (L-R) with a drip pan (aluminum half pan) and use a torch to fire the coals (or 8-10 briqs per side) for a Minion start and let the spinning begin!

100_3228.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

The Cajun Bandit is tighter and seals better than the other rings, so you will have to adjust your One Touch vents open wider to get your temps to indirect grilling zone @350-400* and your chicken will take @35-45 minutes.

When I use the EZ-Que or Weber rings, the air gaps help maintain the grilling temps I'm aiming for, and my One Touch vents are barely open.

100_1907.jpg

100_2103.jpg

100_3245.jpg

So if you have an OTG make little marks on the ash catcher to help give you an idea where the vanes are set and what openings get you to the temps desired.

This works for me, but I've also cooked with coals banked to one side of the grill, and other times direct with a small charcoal ring under the meats in the Kettle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pr0n swamprb.

I did notice that the Cajun Bandit rings are shorter than the Weber rotisserie kit rings. I didn't think about it making a difference.

On the first few cooks, I'll be watching the temperatures closely.

I have the same Weber dividers that you show in your pr0n. I'll set up the same way.

CD

Back