smoking a deer hind quarter

dschc78

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hunting season coming up and my cousin wants me to smoke a deer hind quarter (be around 20 pounds). I've never smoked deer before wondering if anyone has advice or a marinade I could try?

I would imagine that it would be very lean and I am not sure how well a low and slow approach would do. I would think this should be treated like lamb and be hot and fast.

I am no expert nor have a done this before so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I would imagine that it would be very lean and I am not sure how well a low and slow approach would do. I would think this should be treated like lamb and be hot and fast.

I am no expert nor have a done this before so take my advice with a grain of salt.

^^^^^ This

You are correct. It will be very dry with smoking low and slow.

Did a couple earlier this month. Thermometer on the smoker was crap I found out on this cook and it turned out I was cooking around 325. Rubbed them good with a brown sugar based rub, put into pans and foil covered when the bark had carmalized. 3 hours on the rack and 3 more hours in the pan, turned out really moist and was probably better than the pulled pork done at the same time.

I wonder what barding it with bacon before smoking would do. It sure makes for killer wild turkey.

you will need to add some fat like with the bacon for low and slow, if not by the time it gets finished in the middle the outsides will be like jerky... I learned this the hard way, another alternative is a high and fast smoke around 350 until done and it won't dry out.

Hunting season coming up and my cousin wants me to smoke a deer hind quarter (be around 20 pounds). I've never smoked deer before wondering if anyone has advice or a marinade I could try?

I have taken the hams and roasts, rubbed them, wrapped in plastic overnight. put them on the smoker very low not to exceed 250 for two hours.

take them out of the smoker, re-season, and wrap them tightly in pig skin (tie with butchers string if it won't stay tight) and roast at about 350. The fat from the pig skin keeps the roast moist while it reduces the insulates hotter cooking temperature.

I have a frind who pierces the roasts with a large knitting needle then inserts strips if skin to replicate internal fat. Seems like too much work for me.

Just watch your internal temperature.

Pig skin is available at your local slaughter house, butcher shop. Italian meat market, and some spanish / mexican markets.

Venison by nature is a dry meat because of the lack of marbling. The meat from a doe has more marbling than the buck.

cook them all the time during the winter...Get a knive and jab it all over. insert garlic cloves in slits... inject with whatever you like, I like a balsamic/orange juice/honey/brow sugar reduction.. rub with tony chaceries or whatever you like. drape bacon over.... smoke like you would anything else, the longer the better within reason... slices like butter. will be a hit..

Wrap inject with the injection of your choice wrap it in a bacon weave and put it on at 250 till its done. Worked good for me. Nice and juicy plenty tender. If it is from a young deer it will come out pretty good but an older deer will be drier and tougher.

lisen try this!!!! Soak for 3 hrs plus in apple juice... dry it off and rub it down with rub you would use on pork then prep pit for 225 wrap in bacon and cook till bacon is done dunk in bbq sauce and return to pit and glaze the meat... then EAT IT UP!!!!! I promise it will be great!

What IT are you guys cooking to for slicing? 160'ish?

all the above advice is good!!! the main thing is debone the hind quarter and be sure to take the glands out of the meat they are along the bone area!!! If you dont... and I repeat if you dont you will regret it... get one of those babies in your mouth and it will ruin the day!!!!!

sounds good, thanks everyone. Now I just have to work on getting the deer :-D.

The bacon suggestions shouldn't be overlooked. I cooked two loins this week, one with bacon and one without. Wow, the bacon made a huge difference. The biggest challenge (IMO) is the leanness of the meat, the bacon certainly helps with that.
I would try a few smaller cuts so you can get your recipe figured out, and then do the whole hind quarter if that's what you choose to do.

I like to smoke Deer Qtrs. at about 300 Degrees. I smoke a couple of hours then add coffee thinned BBQ sauce wrap in foil and cook till done. Meat is juicy and tender. I'm a fan of coffee.

It's a little more than a month till Deer Season in Alabama. (Can't wait)
Hog season is year round... Properly prepared wild boar is fantastic.

It would be cheaper for me to buy the meat than to add up the money spent hunting... but it does keep me out of the house.

(I did have a cinder block pit for whole hog or larger portions of meat.
Alas it's dismantled now... Shame)

Last edited:
lisen try this!!!! Soak for 3 hrs plus in apple juice... dry it off and rub it down with rub you would use on pork then prep pit for 225 wrap in bacon and cook till bacon is done dunk in bbq sauce and return to pit and glaze the meat... then EAT IT UP!!!!! I promise it will be great!

I've done this it works!!!:clap2::thumb:

An early post suggested treating boned out venison like smoked and foiled like pulled pork or beef (chuckie). I agree. I did two large venison roasts this summer this way.

Technique
Use rub of choice. I like Season All or Montreal Steak
Smoke at between 300-325 until internal temp hits 150-60.
Foil with seasoned beef broth until internal temp hits 200.
Rest in cooler for at least an hour.
Pull and enjoy with or without sauce.

It made some incredible sandwiches!!!

Last edited:
A close friend's dad used to bake a hind quarter in the oven and make BBQ out of it....I can honestly say it was some of the best BBQ I have ever eaten!
I asked a time or two how he cooked it, but can't remember the details.

He said he soaks the meak in the fridge and changes the water out litterally a dozen times over a day or two. He bakes in a large foil pan with seasoning and worclkdsjlsdkjshire sauce. All in all he cooks it for something crazy like 18-20 hours. Once it's done it litterally shreads almost like a pulled pork. Some more cutting needed maybe.

I guess it retains some moisture from cooking in liquid. Then once it's done, he normally mixed some Craigs BBQ sauce (local joint) in to mask any dryness.
Good luck w/ yours! Not sure how the smoker will compare to an oven, but I know it can be done.

Back