• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

No alchohol at the "You Got Somoked" Westfair, IA Competition outside the Beer Garden!?!?

J

Jeckel

So my teammate got our packet from the “YOU GOT SMOKED” at the Westfair BBQ Competition and it says "No alcohol outside the Beer Garden". He thought he misunderstood so called the contest contact and she said that anyone caught drinking outside of the beer garden will be thrown out. Have you guys ever heard of something like that? I know that you don't need a beer to have a good time but...

I believe that Iowa is a red state, so any consumption of alcohol must make some big corporate sponsor a lot of money.

That rule would definitely fuel my creativity. It doesn't have to look like booze to be booze. Just sayin.' One of life's simple pleasures is drinkin' where you ain't allowed to drink. :heh:

CD

We've heard it a lot of competitions. Keep it on the DL, dont be dumb and keep it in a non-alcohol labeled container. You'll be fine.

We received a confirmation email and a attachment with the same information. Kinda sucks, but then again waking up without a headache doesnt sound bad either.

We received a confirmation email and a attachment with the same information. Kinda sucks, but then again waking up without a headache doesnt sound bad either.
It will be a unique experience for me:sick:

Was this noted in the brochure or the entry form ?
Or was it a "surprise" after signing up ?

TIM

hmmm, what time does the Beer Garden close on Friday? It might be the perfect place to hold a potluck.:heh:

Did the packet come via email or regular mail? I haven't seen it

First it was smoking. O.K., I quit after 40 years. Now it's drinking. What's next? Where does it end?

Was this noted in the brochure or the entry form ?
Or was it a "surprise" after signing up ?

TIM

It was a surprise after signing up. We are a bunch of drunks and wouldn't have signed up for a dry contest. Of course there are no refunds once you have signed up.

drink hard cider tell them its fermented apple juice.........I would assume they just want it to be red cup. If they have no reason to hassle you they will not....but then again i can be wrong

If you're going to party, it's a heck of a lot cheaper to do it at home and cook for friends there where there's no entry fee. If you're going to compete, pay the fee, play by their rules and don't go back next year if you don't enjoy it. Just sayin'...

That's fine advice .. except when the rules change after paying. (And I don't know the details on this one - just making a general statement)

I guess I don't get why you'd EVER plan to go to a contest simply to get your drink on. Regardless of when the rules might change, the price of the entry fee stays the same. I won't say I have never done it because I'd be lying but I've learned a couple of lessons along the way.

I guess I don't get why you'd EVER plan to go to a contest simply to get your drink on. Regardless of when the rules might change, the price of the entry fee stays the same. I won't say I have never done it because I'd be lying but I've learned a couple of lessons along the way.

People compete for different reasons as you are aware. Why criticize anyone who wants to have a good time regardless if they are getting there drink on or not? Seems out of place to tell anyone why or why not to compete. I think it is up to the individual or team to decide the reasons they go to a contest. Not everyone is in it for the glory of the GC or TOY points. Just sayin'....

Back