• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ribeyes... It's whats' for dinner (w/pr0n)

Good looking meal JM, my favorite is also the Ribeye! My sister used to suffer from the shoe leather syndrome. We'd go out and she order filet well done and send it back 2 times! Why not order a piece of sirloin and use a flame thrower on it?

Nice job. Are you sure you aren't dating my X. She used to really Pi$$ me off making me ruin a fine piece of meat. And then all she would drink was Jack Daniels and then ruin that with coke. And the really sad part was that she was from Greenville, SC. I'm sorry, you got me on a roll. Really, nice job on the cook, post and pron. By the way, I sure am enjoying my Vidalia's. Sure wish we could get them year round. :thumb:

Great looking meal :thumb: Love Ribeye's. I sprinkle mine with kosher salt & pepper and get my grill rip-roarin' hot (600*+). Then about 3 minutes per side for Med-Rare with a nice crust.
utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwNDIzLTAwMTkxLmpwZw.jpg

Gonna have to try that pan thing too.

Good looking meal JM, my favorite is also the Ribeye! My sister used to suffer from the shoe leather syndrome. We'd go out and she order filet well done and send it back 2 times! Why not order a piece of sirloin and use a flame thrower on it?

My gf loves filet also. I was almost embarrased when we went to Morimoto in Waikiki and she ordered a filet well done... lol

Very nice JM, how did the corn come out for you? I love corn on the cob on the grill.

The corn was excellent. It had a nice crunch just like I like it. I took it simple to start with, as I have with everything in my new found love of smoking and switching to charcoal grilling.

Here's the recipe for the yeast rolls...

Ingredients go in the bread machine pan in this order:

1 cup water
2 tablespoons softened butter
1 egg
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons active dry yeast

Put the bread machine on the dough cycle and run this batch of ingredients until the cycle is complete... remove the dough from the bread pan and form a dough mound on a lightly floured surface. Let sit for 15 minutes or so covered.

Divide the dough into about 14 equal size pieces and form them into small 2" balls. Place the dough balls on a greased cookie sheet. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes. You can brush the top of the dough balls with melted butter at this point if you wish. Cook 12-15 minutes in an oven that has been preheated to 375° You can also brush the tops with melted butter again if you like after they come out of the oven... serve hot...

Thanks for the recipe. Think i'll give it go this weekend. Great looking meal overall.

Not only would I buy her (only because she like well-done) a cheaper steak, but...if I were going to ruin one of the two ribeyes you purchased, it would have most certainly been the lesser of the two.

Why on earth did you give her the larger/better looking of the two? Don't get me wrong...I believe my better half deserves the best anytime I can give it to her, but since you're ruining the meat anyway...

I also like more heat when cooking steaks. I don't like "black" steaks, but I do like the exposed fat to be a little crispy.

I'm another fan of s/p/garlic or just garlic salt. I don't need anything else on a steak. Hell, I'm happy if I just have salt (it helps with the crust).

I also pan cook ribeyes every now & again...but I baste it in butter for the entire cook, or I cook it in the style of au poivre.

Saiko, that looks amazing. Do you keep the kettle cover off while you're heating up the grates? Do you have it on or off while you're cooking your steak? I have always kept my lid on but I'm wondering if I am keeping the temps down when I do that (restricting the airflow). We all like to keep the smoke in the kettle while cooking to keep the flavor and reduce flare ups but is it worth sacrificing the temps?

Looks awesome! I have similar cast iron grates on my kettle, and can let you in on a few tips I have for searing. Since I always have chunks of wood lying around for my WSM, once I pour a chimney full of lump in the kettle I also add about 6-8 chunks of wood. I let this burn for about an extra 20 minutes or so (you might have to lift off one of the grate sections and break up some of the wood embers to get things moving along). This serves 3 purposes: The wood embers add flavor, the flame from the wood will burn off all the residue from the previous cook, and your grates will get nice and hot for searing. Once I have a good sear on both sides I move the steaks to the cooler side of the grill until done.
IMG_0030.jpg

I also like to add a coat of fresh ground ancho chili powder (along with kosher salt and pepper) to all my steaks. Gives it a nice color and crust, as well as some flavor. Here is a porterhouse I grilled this weekend:
IMG_0099.jpg

Saiko, Do you keep the kettle cover off while you're heating up the grates? Do you have it on or off while you're cooking your steak?

I keep the cover off while heating up the grates so that the flames from the burning wood chunks really heat up the grates and burn off the old residue.
I keep the cover on while cooking.

I keep the cover off while heating up the grates so that the flames from the burning wood chunks really heat up the grates and burn off the old residue.
I keep the cover on while cooking.

Saiko,

Thanks for the advice on this. I'll use the technique to make sure my grates are good and hot for my next cook on the kettle. I also think I'll do the same (Crack the lid open a bit) AFTER the cook as well to get them good and hot so I can brush off the residue after the cook rather than before the next time. I like to clean and oil the grates before I put them away. I wanna get a really good seasoning on them so I won't have to worry about rust or any of that fun stuff :)

Back