deep fried turkey????

If you read the Cajun Injector cook book they do roasts, all kinds of things. To clean the oil I quarter whole potatos and deep fry, just like broasted!:thumb:

All I do is brine it and fry it. When the temp hit 155-160 I take it out and let it rest for about 30 or 45mins and then go to town. Super simple

I'll second the Big Easy oil less fryer. I've done the Peanut oil frying, Big mess and expensive. The Big Easy can be used year round for chicken and other meats and it makes the best Bake Potato's.

Try smoking ducks on the low and cold side then deep fry them. WOW. They are like duck bacon.

Or look up the Chinese recipe "Crispy Aromatic Duck". That one takes a while but it is worth it.

I also put whole cornish game hens in butter milk for a while then shake in a paper bag full of flour with salt, pepper and Old Bay. Then I drop them in the fryer. Makes great whole fried chicken.

Fried turkey is good but when I do turkey I spachcock it and grill over an open fire. I just love that.

I use the turkey fryer for making butt-loads of Buffalo wings and the stuff above, or home brew.

Simplest safety tip of all:

Extinguish the fire while you put in the bird and relight once it's in.

That way if there is an overflow, there isn't a resulting huge fire.

Yup. I've fried several propane tanks worth of turkeys over the years.

Pretty much the best tip out there.

All the other tips on seasoning and stuff are just ways to make it taste "better." I find that it tastes good with nothing more than a sprinkling of salt when it first comes out the oil (sorta like French fries).

Yes, follow the safety tips mentioned above!

All in all, it's a pretty expensive way to cook with the price of peanut oil. It's really messy to strain and store in a cool place.

Yes, follow the safety tips mentioned above!

All in all, it's a pretty expensive way to cook with the price of peanut oil. It's really messy to strain and store in a cool place.

Not cheap, but as far as "treats" go, it ain't all that expensive, especially if you figure it's going to feed 10 people (you'll pay a lot more to feed ribeye steaks or shrimp, etc. to 10 people).

As far as straining and storing goes. I have a big funnel and simply put it back in the bottle(s) it came from.

Also...who ever fries just one turkey when they crank that cooker up? Not me. :p

I haven't fried a turkey in a few years, but the most reliable way I found to get the correct oil level was the submerge the bird in oil while it was still in the shrink wrap (assuming you are getting it from the store). Lower the bird slowly and allow the body cavity to fill before dropping it all the way in. It's hard to mess up a fried turkey as long as you don't burn yourself.

The two tips already posted about determining the oil level and turning off the fire when putting the bird in are key.

I've done 5-6 deep fried turkeys with my brothers, and have always had great success. Don't get too big of a bird too; we stick to the 12-14lb range for our fryer.

Another thing we do is mix up some stuffing that would normally go in the turkey if roasting it; but add a couple eggs to the mix to hold it together, form in to balls and deep fry as well.

never cared for stuffing.. or dressing as it is called in TN, but this sounds good.

Back