• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Brethren "Lamb" Throwdown

OK, here's my first entry thread..

HERE

and and initial entry photo...

DSC_0006_1762.jpg

I'm thinking this is gonna be nowhere good enough, so I will have to do better than that and learn that "white balance thingy" that Phrasty does...

Whatever the outcome Brethren... lets BBQ some LAMB!!!!

Cheers!

Bill

I should know better than to look at a Throwdown thread this early before eating. I'm starving now!

Grilled Eggplant Moussaka

A couple of weeks ago, I saw the Moussaka episode on “Throwdown with Bobby Flay” and I was inspired to give Moussaka a try. We actually planned the dinner a couple of weeks ago and invited some friends over. It was just a lucky coincident that the Throwdown category this week is Lamb.
So here is the lamb and all the other ingredients for the meat sauce:
Moussaka01.jpg

Here’s the eggplant coming off the slicer:
Moussaka02.jpg

Bobby fried his eggplant, but since I have my kettle just outside the kitchen…
Moussaka03.jpg

Here it is coming together:
Moussaka04.jpg

Hot out of the oven:
Moussaka05.jpg

And the entry photo, Moussaka with Greek Salad and Garlic Rosemary Flatbread
Moussaka06.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Well, just to get you in the throwdown mood, click here and turn up the volume

YouTube - Stevie Ray Vaughan - Mary had a Little Lamb

I feel a bit sheepish entering this so early, but I just had a feeling that so many of ewe were planning to do the same thing, especially Chris, so I wanted to lead the flock. This was definitely a joint effort with ecode. We flipped to see who would submit this and ... I think I lost. Hopefully, this entry will not be too baaaaa'd. The last time we made gyros was right after we got our sausage maker and after eating the best gyros in the world for weeks, we never wanted to see another one again for as long as we lived. That was many years ago. The good news is we've recovered! This time we ground up a well-trimmed leg in the Cuisinart and added oregano, salt, pepper, rosemary, and well-ground garlic and onion:

IMG_1293.jpg

We rolled these into a number of fatties and seared at 500* for about 10 minutes. I then put them in the oval at 275* for about an hour, until the internal temp hit 165*. I foiled until they were cooled and then began the real work. You see, I wanted to make these fatties a sheer delight and make sure there was no mistaking that you would be voting for lamb. I began the assembly of the fatties:

IMG_1332.jpg

Of course the lamb needs a coat and mashed potatoes seemed a perfect compliment:

IMG_1334.jpg

We added a few extra pieces to complete the assembly (use this pic):

IMG_1337-1.jpg

Well, I realized that this sheep looked awfully familiar and that the Wallace and Gromit crowd had been making donairmations for years. :doh:

YouTube - Shaun the sheep Theme song

So, in the end we decided to sheer him and eat him for dinner. Can't say that Shaun was very happy being sheered:

IMG_1384.jpg

He sure tasted good though! :shocked:

You and Ecode are both insane. I see that now. I had held out hope for Ecode, but, I see that was for not. I would be pretty angry if someone gave me a 'haircut' and I ended up with no ears.

Time Out

As most of you know, as Self Appointed Aussie Lamb Farker of the BBQ Brethren Universe... I give out the ALF Awards, and to this point in time, I feel the idea has been well recieved and indeed lots of fun as well. People have cooked lamb who otherwise might never have done so....

But this is a Throwdown, and as a Throwdown, it has it's own award / reward. I don't wanna complicate the issue between TD's and ALFS... so I'm thinking I'll suspend ALF's for Lamb dishes entered in this TD... If you don't agree, let me know!

OR Maybe the winner, as voted by the BBQ Brethren voters gets an ALF Award as well...????

Cheers!

Bill

Time in Farkers!

Bite me selfish Farker...I want an ALF Award... :boxing:

Man, I guess I gotta' work on my next Throwdown idea. How do you compete with lamb formed into a sheep?

However, if points are deducted for bad puns, you are in trouble.

BTW, it looks like one of the counting sheep from the Serta commercials. :laugh:

CD

Attachments

• Wallpaper_2_640x480.jpg
    Wallpaper_2_640x480.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 146
Redhot - have you tried looking at any of the Costco's near you? I've gotten superb lamb loin chops and boneless legs at great prices in CA and OH - bet they probably carry them over there too...

Here's a link to a recent cook with some Costco lamb chops:

www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100315

I agree. I just picked up a 6 pack of those nice thick Australian loin chops at Costco. Not cheap at $7.99 a pound, but I know they are real good!

I agree. I just picked up a 6 pack of those nice thick Australian loin chops at Costco. Not cheap at $7.99 a pound, but I know they are real good!

You know, for a lamb loin chop that's not a bad price at all. Lamb is cheap here for sure, but loin chops extract a crazy premium. If you can get it for 8 Bucks a pound for that cut alone, you should buy it. It's out of my price range, which is why I buy a whole side at a time. That costs me about $3.00 a pound.

Back