The Large Quantity Barbecue

It seems we've all come a long way since then... Thanks for sharing Vinny!

The first barbecue I ever tasted was as a kid at the Fortuna, CA annual rodeo. It was pit cooked beef prepared in the fashion described in this pamphlet - the only difference being I believe they covered the pit with wet canvas rather than sheet metal.

I found it interesting that brisket wasn't even mentioned, but coffee was considered to be "essential to a good barbecue". Nice find Vinny - thanks for sharing!

Sweet!!! I've for something to read at work tomorrow!! I love the old BBQ books. Seeing the differences and similarities, from then to now is cool. Plus the change in the style of dress is always interesting. To me anyway.

Matt

I would love to experience a pit BBQ like that once.

The BBQ sauce recipe on bottom pg 26/top 27 is very unique..

I was lucky enough to take part in a Polynesian pit BBQ (pork instead of beef) many moons ago. Helped acquire the guest of honor (pig), dug the pit, and was assistant pit crew during the cook. Quite the experience, and the end result was excellent.

Chairman of the Department of Animal Husbandry University of Nebraska! (Lower in the flier)

OH SHANE SPLAIN THIS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

I helped cook a luau for my baby sister's first wedding on a beach in Oregon.

We dug a pit like that, lined it with local basalt river rock, burned down a bunch of seasoned oak, covered it with beach sand to a couple of inches, put a layer of wet burlap down, laid a whole hog on the burlap, covered with more wet burlap and covered the whole thing with about 18" of more beach sand.

13 hours later we dug up the pig like a bunch of neanderthal archeologists.

DAYUM! It was Good Eats.

It seems we've all come a long way since then... Thanks for sharing Vinny!

You would not think this if you ever were graced to have a BBQ like this.

Notice the complete absence of the word "brisket."

This is funny too... notice they slice with a machine. The bulk of meat we serve at our charities is getting that way. I need to get a slicer these days.. it should cut down on injury. I know we all got tired this last weekend of slicing fajita for 400.

Back