• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pit Barrel Cooker

... I let you call me Donnie T too.

Well, there is a story behind that. You see you are not my only BBQ mentor that goes by Pitmaster T. My buddy "T" over in Utah.... who by the way is also is friends with Danny, owns a BDS and some UDS's, and who, like yourself, has also taught me a lot, goes by Pitmaster T as well.

So Donny T is a slip of the tongue, as I get confused between you two sometimes. Here is T next to Showtime, his cooker.

DSC08656bbbb5.jpg

Don't get caught up on the " tastes better" concept... totally subjective and of the opinion of less than a half-dozen people who have posted. I think it's a bit too soon for a PBC to totally take the throne away from a UDS (even though a PBC is basically just one persons variation of a UDS)

"tastes Different".. I can buy that, but " tastes better" ??... depends who is doing the cooking and tasting.

Thank you all for clearing things up for me. You guys are great. I am pretty new to all of this but learning every day. I think ill stick with my original build plan but now i have a whole bunch of mods in mind that will be implemented. Hope to have some picks in a few weeks.

First, I'm not aware of any "cult", but that aside, there are many PBC customers at or near sea level.

Second, the beauty of the PBC is that it doesn't matter if you're in Death Valley or on top of Pike's Peak. They pre-set the intake for your elevation before they ship it. Your cooking experience in NY will be the same as for me here in Boise at 2700 feet.

If you have further questions I'd encourage you go call the owner of the company. Noah puts his personal cell number on every cooker, and on his web site.

John
Intake vs outflow air is determined by the area of the openings, not air pressure, which is equal at both openings. How does one "pre-set it" by elevation? Wouldn't one setting work for all elevations?

Intake vs outflow air is determined by the area of the openings, not air pressure, which is equal at both openings. How does one "pre-set it" by elevation? Wouldn't one setting work for all elevations?

It's not about air pressure, it's about combustion. There is less oxygen at higher elevations, thus less combustion. Thus you need more intake at a higher elevation to get the same amount of oxygen (combustion) that you'd have at a lower elevation.

John

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. It's truly amazing that so many people will spend $500-$1000 of mental energy/gymnastics on a $225 decision. I sometimes imagine a dude standing in the grocery store calling several other stores to see if they can save a quarter on a loaf of bread.

John

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. It's truly amazing that so many people will spend $500-$1000 of mental energy/gymnastics on a $225 decision. I sometimes imagine a dude standing in the grocery store calling several other stores to see if they can save a quarter on a loaf of bread.

John

No truer words have been spoken. It is the the number one reason to buy a PBC, BDS, D-Meat Barrel, Big Poppa Smoker; that someone else has done the big thinking or labor for you.

and no.... its too easy....

No..... I swore I wouldn't.............

its also a good reason to buy one of these...

davecat.jpg

Received my PBC yesterday and fired it up today. I guess I'll be one of the first to say I was pretty much disappointed with this thing. Hung a rack of baby backs and later added a whole chicken cut in half. Total cook time was 4 hrs. for the ribs and 2.5 hrs. for the chicken, as per instructions.
The ribs were way overcooked and dry with the end closest to the coals basically inedible. The chicken was not done . I had to part the chicken out and finish some pieces in the oven. I guess I got caught in all the hype about this thing ,but now I wish that I had waited to see more opinions.
As for ribs, I'll continue to use the 3.2.1. method on my BGE.

Received my PBC yesterday and fired it up today. I guess I'll be one of the first to say I was pretty much disappointed with this thing. Hung a rack of baby backs and later added a whole chicken cut in half. Total cook time was 4 hrs. for the ribs and 2.5 hrs. for the chicken, as per instructions.
The ribs were way overcooked and dry with the end closest to the coals basically inedible. The chicken was not done . I had to part the chicken out and finish some pieces in the oven. I guess I got caught in all the hype about this thing ,but now I wish that I had waited to see more opinions.

I am glad you felt so strongly that you signed on for the second time in your life to tell us how you felt. Last time (May)it was the electric shack, right.

The Egg is a keeper.

Four hours for lionbacks is too long for sure. Remember that in BBQ time is only a guideline. As for the chicken, I have no idea how 2.5 hours wasn't long enough. Large half chickens on mine typically take under two hours. What was the temp in the thigh? In other words, what is your definition of "done"? I go to about 155* in the breast and 165* in the thigh.

John

The PBC is a nice cooker, it's a small UDS.

f6857adf.jpg

Great for small cooks, and ultra portable.
76fdfc17.jpg

The kids built a UDS using Big Poppas kit. The kit is very high quality, and very easy to assemble about 2 hours.
5fb5fc10ea60ea23d026a1451cdba4f8.jpg

We liked the hanging aspect of the PBC, so we incorporated into our UDS.
b09daca988f6d42e0cf3d430adea7f71.jpg

I've cooked on both and the results are very similar. Hanging chickens is great, it's nice to be able to fit so many on a small or large UDS. You'll need to be careful with your large heavy meats, Not a fan of hanging ribs, wasn't impressed with how they turned out. Longer cuts like brisket and ribs get to done close to the fire. We liked the PBC cooks just great and super for transporting and small families. We use the BPS drum all the time. It's more versatile such as, adjustable fire basket height for grilling or BBQ, wider range of cooking temps, more room for larger groups or hungry kids.

Last edited:
Yes, that's safe to assume. Again, give Noah a call. It's free and painless, I promise. :wink: He's a war veteran (and true hero), but he's gentle. :-D

John

Been trying to ignore this thread for all the obvious reasons.

Still waiting for one to surface in the Houston MSA so I can truly see how different the meat tastes than my drums. But now my interest is truly piqued.

A "hero" you say...

Been trying to ignore this thread for all the obvious reasons.

Still waiting for one to surface in the Houston MSA so I can truly see how different the meat tastes than my drums. But now my interest is truly piqued.

A "hero" you say...

Yup. Google is your friend. :wink:

John

Yup. Google is your friend. :wink:

John

If its on the internet it must be true? I don't Google "hero's" wildman, I've walked among them.

You tossed it out here in a thread about a cooker, I'd expect you to explain.

Or don't...

If its on the internet it must be true? I don't Google "hero's" wildman, I've walked among them.

You tossed it out here in a thread about a cooker, I'd expect you to explain.

Or don't...

Not sure if he has any ribbons or medals, but if the man's a veteran, I'd say he's a hero. Nuff said.

The PBC is a nice cooker, it's a small UDS.

f6857adf.jpg

Great for small cooks, and ultra portable.
76fdfc17.jpg

The kids built a UDS using Big Poppas kit. The kit is very high quality, and very easy to assemble about 2 hours.
5fb5fc10ea60ea23d026a1451cdba4f8.jpg

We liked the hanging aspect of the PBC, so we incorporated into our UDS.
b09daca988f6d42e0cf3d430adea7f71.jpg

I've cooked on both and the results are very similar. Hanging chickens is great, it's nice to be able to fit so many on a small or large UDS. You'll need to be careful with your large heavy meats, Not a fan of hanging ribs, wasn't impressed with how they turned out. Longer cuts like brisket and ribs get to done close to the fire. We liked the PBC cooks just great and super for transporting and small families. We use the BPS drum all the time. It's more versatile such as, adjustable fire basket height for grilling or BBQ, wider range of cooking temps, more room for larger groups or hungry kids.

Thanks to your post, I'm going to sell my 18.5" WSM, get the Big Poppa Smoker Kit, get a 55 gallon drum (have a line on a free one) drill the extra 4 holes for rebar, have that former student sandblast and powder coat it, and make the necessary adjustments in the intake to run at the higher temp when hanging.

Thanks for the info.

Back