Pizza Crust Question.....

Garyclaw

Babbling Farker
When making your own pizza crust, how do ya get those nice bubbles in the crust that are so good to crunch into? I asssume ya gotta add air somehow.

One thing to look at is how is the heat hitting the pizza. If you have enough heat on the going over the top of the pizza, it will help develop the bubbles you want.

Actually it is from higher hydration dough. It will produce nice pocket and a nice airy crust. Most pizza doughs are around 55-60 hydration or water content. If you use a Neapolitan dough it will be more into the 70% hydration....look up the recipe from Peter Reinhart "neo-neapolitan pizza dough recipe...this is what you are looking for. If doing it high temp at 700+ don't add the sugar or the oil or you will have burnt crust. If doing 450 to 550 use as stated..This is a great cold ferment 24 hour rise which will produce amazing crust. My Go To pizza dough recipe.

Proper hydration of your dough and temp of at least 550. I do a sour dough that I ferment 5-7days a good pizza dough is just flour waster yeast and salt using oil in the dough makes it to tender for a good crust -IMO.

What FatMike said and dont fark with the dough too much once it fermented or risen once. Just form a pie crust, slap toppings on, bake At 400-500*. More i play with and heat up the dough the less diserable the product.

What FatMike said and dont fark with the dough too much once it's fermented or risen once. Just form/strech the pie crust, slap toppings on, bake At 400-500*. More you play with and heat up the dough the less diserable the product.

Thanks All. I think I get the picture. My crusts have been turning out pretty good of late but not quite perfect (to me) yet.

I'll check out the sourdough and the P. Rienhart recipes.

Again what FatMike said and also try using the highest gluten flour you can get such as King Arthur's High Gluten Flour because it has more protein and gluten than the all-purpose flour and will have a more developed gluten network that will hold the gases (mainly carbon dioxide) better and create a more open and airy crumb, which is a characteristic you indicated you are looking for it will make a world of difference.

Back