Doe's it annoy you when People Use the term BBQ too losely?

DownHomeQue

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Something about that gets under my skin.... i want to be like no... you are completely out of line for calling this Chit.. BBQ :twitch: LOL i just wanted to see what the Bretheren thought about it... to me BBQ is Smoked meat... over fire... nothing else constitutes bbq.. don't give a Fark.. about the sauce.. thats extra.. but BBQ is all about the smoked meat.. please chime in!

Doe's it annoy you when People Use the term BBQ too losely?

Not in the least.

A name does not define anything!

TIM

Only in the context that sauce is BBQ and can be prepared in a Crock pot or an Easy Bake Oven.

Not as much as it used to...although I always remind people who misuse or misunderstand it.

I agree about the definition, except for the "over a fire" part. I think a "fire" and "over the fire" are optional, but definitely the meat needs to be caressed with wood smoke. The location of the heat source, and whether or not it produces a fire is not relevant so long as it is cooked properly and smoked.

Not all will agree on all points with everyone though.

As for whether it insults me when people use the word for something otherwise...

It doesn't bother me one bit. Why the fark would I let something so trivial get me so upset when it makes no difference to anything, really?

Now, if some neighbor starts letting their dog crap in my yard, maybe that would bother me a bit. But not someone calling something they took off a grill or out of a crock-pot "BBQ". Then again, some people jsut like to bitch about anything and everything.

In my youth I was ignorant and thought anything cooked outside in a grill-like cooker was BBQ. Thankfully, I know better now. I think educating the ignorant is the way to go. Since I am very green when it comes to BBQ I can't say I have seen/heard lots of people call grilling BBQ but I do get somewhat annoyed at people calling taco bell / dell taco meaxican food so I can relate.

I agree with Goyo. I was naive before truly understanding what BBQ is. A little education on BBQ never hurt anyone.

It doesn't bother me. Not getting to cook or eat BBQ would bother me though.

Nope, doesn't bother me at all. It bothers me a lot more when I buy some BBQ, or alleged BBQ, and regardless of how it is cooked, it is bad food.

Doesn't bother me. Gives me an opportunity to invite them over and sample my BBQ......:-D
They bring the sides and the beer everyone wins........:cool:

BBQ, is a word used worldwide for cooking in various ways.
I guess in this day of internet you need to accomodate other peoples ideas as well.
BBQ here, is virtually anything cooked over a gas/solid fuel appliance outdoors.
cheers.
Titch

Doesn't bother me at all.

If someone is making food that their family loves, GREAT! Maybe they will be encouraged enough to learn more about it. Turning your nose up at it is a great way to give all us BBQers a really bad reputation as a bunch of crotchety old farts...which we are

And, just how pure are all of us that use steel smokers anyway?? What do you think a PIT really is??

It doesn't bother me nearly as much as when someone starts a sentence with "So," as though they were previously interrupted.
We all have our demons.

It doesn't bother me at all. To the people who's hobby and passion BBQ is what we do. To the general public BBQ is a flavor that is brought to them by sauce.

What i have found is that anybody that thinks crock pot pulled pork, braised/boiled and baked ribs with bbq is given some nice slow smoked meats w/ the different rubs that they will declare it is the best bbq they have ever eatten.

I had 3 neighbors say they made amazing bbq that they cook in the crockpot. I made some pulled pork and put some Eastern Carolina dip on it after I pulled it. I told them to try it before they sauced it. All of them came back saying that it was hands down better than any BBQ they had and they didnt need any sauce because they liked the flavor and tang that was present in the pulled pork. Now whenever I talk to them they are always asking me when they get their next batch of bbq.

Back