Are pellet grills really faster and more convenient for smoking?

Comment on the Mak 2star cold smoke chamber.

IMO. The cold smoker side shelf is very useful. If you have a thick cut steak or anything that needs reverse seared I like starting in the main chamber at 200-300* then when getting close to finish sear I rest in the cold smoke side and crank the heat to super high grill.

When you reach searing temps in main chamber simple swap back and your good to go without overcooking the center of the meat

Comment on the Mak 2star cold smoke chamber.

IMO. The cold smoker side shelf is very useful. If you have a thick cut steak or anything that needs reverse seared I like starting in the main chamber at 200-300* then when getting close to finish sear I rest in the cold smoke side and crank the heat to super high grill.

When you reach searing temps in main chamber simple swap back and your good to go without overcooking the center of the meat

I have a plumbed in natural gas grill with a sear burner that gets to 750+ in a couple min. When reverse searing I just let it rest for a few min, and drop it on the gasser.

I'm sure some people use the cold smoking cabinet however I never used it(which is why I removed it). I'd have personally rather the cook chamber be longer if I had to choose.

Thanks all you BBQ guys! My wife is retired US Army and I retired from Civil Service, so I'll be buying an American built MAK...just deciding on the 1 or 2 Star and like the idea of removing the cold smoker side shelf.

Bill

Can't go wrong either way. Best of luck!

I have a plumbed in natural gas grill with a sear burner that gets to 750+ in a couple min. When reverse searing I just let it rest for a few min, and drop it on the gasser.

Hey that’s a great idea! Sounds like it works great.

I’m a bit lazier and like the easy button of having it “all in one” when I’m using the PG. Plus I have time for an extra beer while the main chamber gets to searing temps ;)

I'm certifiably insane and have had 10 pellet grills over past 9-10 years. Traegers, Camp Chef, Memphis, and Weber. They are definitely more convenient than even my WSCG and faster in most senses. Before the Weber (and probably the Memphis) that still puts out good smoke at 275, I had to start most cooks at 200-225 for the first couple hours, then I could raise the temp. On the Traegers or Camp Chefs at 275 start to finish for something like a butt or brisket, the smoke was pretty weak. I would definitely not recommend a Memphis to anyone since I had grease fires galore and since then they shipped manufacturing overseas and kept/raised prices. I also had a weird Costco specific Traeger (of 4) that was a very weird design and produced almost no smoke as well I'm being very kind not mentioning one other brand I had in the middle that was a nightmare, but I'm accepting I got a lemon. Outside of those 3 each pellet grill I've had has been great, IMO. I've either needed bigger grill or thought I couldn't live without some new feature to the pellet world (direct grilling, WiFi, etc.) each step of the way as the pellet market evolved heavily from like 2014-2019 with lots of new features.

For me, the WSCG takes about an hour to get going at or close to temp with clean smoke. With a pellet grill, I can fire it up, prep meat and throw it in 10-15 minutes later once I know the fire is burning ok and the grill is 150+. Even the 'dirty' smoke from a pellet grill is not overpowering.

I live where it gets darn cold and windy and it's very convenient for several months of the year (Nov-March almost guaranteed with late Dec-late Feb being exceptionally miserable) and it's really nice on a rare nice day to vacuum out a pellet grill, change the drip pan foil, and be set for a few cooks where all I have to do is fill the hopper, fire it up, and wait for food to finish. I ran a insulation blanket on my Traegers and wish I would have had one for the Camp Chefs and that the SmokeFire had one or was double walled.

That all being said, I haven't matched the WSCG for close to absolutely perfect final results yet, but the food from the pellet grills, especially the SmokeFire and the Memphis (when it didn't have a grease fire) have been pretty darn close and food from the rest has been plenty edible if not pretty darn good. Much better than the electric and propane smokers I had before. If it's not really windy, I want a guaranteed great meal, and I have enough time, the WSCG is the goto. However, those planet seem to alight once a month or so.

I started BBQ when I was busy in life with kids activities 5-6 days a week, so have never had the time for a stick burner to compare to. When my oldest went off to college and my youngest had a foot injury keeping her from dance, I tried a COS for a couple cooks and realized for me at least a $299 POS wasn't worth the effort.

I'm certifiably insane

Noooo. I don't believe you.

...and have had 10 pellet grills over past 9-10 years.

Well....now....you might be right. That would get the average person committed. :lol:

Traegers, Camp Chef, Memphis, and Weber. They are definitely more convenient than even my WSCG and faster in most senses. Before the Weber (and probably the Memphis) that still puts out good smoke at 275, I had to start most cooks at 200-225 for the first couple hours, then I could raise the temp. On the Traegers or Camp Chefs at 275 start to finish for something like a butt or brisket, the smoke was pretty weak. I would definitely not recommend a Memphis to anyone since I had grease fires galore and since then they shipped manufacturing overseas and kept/raised prices. I also had a weird Costco specific Traeger (of 4) that was a very weird design and produced almost no smoke as well I'm being very kind not mentioning one other brand I had in the middle that was a nightmare, but I'm accepting I got a lemon. Outside of those 3 each pellet grill I've had has been great, IMO. I've either needed bigger grill or thought I couldn't live without some new feature to the pellet world (direct grilling, WiFi, etc.) each step of the way as the pellet market evolved heavily from like 2014-2019 with lots of new features.

For me, the WSCG takes about an hour to get going at or close to temp with clean smoke. With a pellet grill, I can fire it up, prep meat and throw it in 10-15 minutes later once I know the fire is burning ok and the grill is 150+. Even the 'dirty' smoke from a pellet grill is not overpowering.

I live where it gets darn cold and windy and it's very convenient for several months of the year (Nov-March almost guaranteed with late Dec-late Feb being exceptionally miserable) and it's really nice on a rare nice day to vacuum out a pellet grill, change the drip pan foil, and be set for a few cooks where all I have to do is fill the hopper, fire it up, and wait for food to finish. I ran a insulation blanket on my Traegers and wish I would have had one for the Camp Chefs and that the SmokeFire had one or was double walled.

That all being said, I haven't matched the WSCG for close to absolutely perfect final results yet, but the food from the pellet grills, especially the SmokeFire and the Memphis (when it didn't have a grease fire) have been pretty darn close and food from the rest has been plenty edible if not pretty darn good. Much better than the electric and propane smokers I had before. If it's not really windy, I want a guaranteed great meal, and I have enough time, the WSCG is the goto. However, those planet seem to alight once a month or so.

I started BBQ when I was busy in life with kids activities 5-6 days a week, so have never had the time for a stick burner to compare to. When my oldest went off to college and my youngest had a foot injury keeping her from dance, I tried a COS for a couple cooks and realized for me at least a $299 POS wasn't worth the effort.

I certainly would not doubt your experiences.

Pellet grills SUCK!!!

(Y’all spread the word, it is my hope the pellet grill market wi collapse and I can grab about 4 more MAK ⭐⭐️ for about 1/3 the retail price!!!)

Pellet grills SUCK!!!

While for grilling my Pit boss doesn't heat up as fast as a gas grill, the ability to reverse sear steaks or pork chops outweighs the time difference for me
Why can't you reverse sear on your gasser? I do it all the time. Just set two heat zones.

While I don’t have a gasses and haven’t in years I agree 100% with Curt.

I actually see no reason for anyone to buy a gasser anymore, a pellet can do all a gasser can do and more while imparting smoke.
Can your pellet get to 700 degrees (temp I use for steak)?

My WSM is pretty much set it and forget it. Thought about a pellet grill but see no real advantage to my current set up.

It’s snowing pretty good here in Maryland this morning. I went outside and pushed the on button on my pellet grill. Waiting for it to text me and tell me it’s at 250 degrees.

I'm a charcoal grill guy whose working on getting into the smoking world. Tried it on my Oklahoma Joe offset but was too hard to control the temp with my knowledge so its just my grill now. I got my Austin XL for convenience and the ribs I've turned out are great. Obviously the smoke flavor isnt that great cause its pellets and not splits but i just use flavored rubs. I did try a small prime brisket the other day and I overcooked it and the bottom burned a lil bit cause I was cooking fat up but I will cook fat down next time. Like a dummy I didnt think I would burn the bottom but the heat source is just below even though there are deflector plates so thats my bad. The flavor was still really good. This will have to do until I build my 275gal oil drum smoker and then onto a 500gal offset after that. I have a small food biz im looking to take to the next level and move from pop ups to something a lil more than just chicken. BTW, I got mine on clearance for 350 down from the normal 500 and couldnt pass it up.

Back