Labor Day Menus

Bellybro said:
okay, I've got to ask How do you stuff a pork tenderloin? Slit partially and fill and foil? That is sounding pretty darn enticing to me right about now!

I slit mine partially down the side, stuffed it and sewed it up with a metal skewer.

BBQchef33 said:
Bellybro said:
okay, I've got to ask How do you stuff a pork tenderloin? Slit partially and fill and foil? That is sounding pretty darn enticing to me right about now!

my favorite of these..... make an X slit with a long knife into the ends, trying to meet in the middle. YOu dont want to slice it thru the sides, try ti make an opening down the center. Then stuff italian hot and sweet sausages down into the center of the loin. I found that a really high heat pan searing on the sausage makes it easier to stuff into the loin and gives it a better texture while your putting in the sausage, stuff in some roasted peppers throught with the sausage. (i use the jarred ones, its easier).

When you slice the loin, ya got a perfect sausage center inside. dont tell anyone ya did it till slicing time....

damn..

now im hungry.

All this talk about stuffing a sausage into a loin is making me...well...you know...

Honey?...MrsMista..where are you?

BBL...much later...

Just to clarify, we are talking about a center cut pork loin, not a tenderloin. No need to stuff that

anyway, here's my results.

I got 1# sage fatty, 1# smoked bologna,2 chik boobs, 4# center cut pork loin in the fridge. No room to eat.

We ate a slab and a half of bbacks.

first time I did the 3-2-1 method. I usually leave them in foil and cooler them. This time I put them back in the smoke with sauce.

I used all wood. All of Phils cherry, most of Neils peach, and 2/3 bag of NB Hickory chunks.

I love going all wood, but its expensive.

I tip my cap to J Minion on my 7.6# trimmed flat

followed his advice in previous threads. rubbed it down good and added a sugar and cinnamon base to it. flipped it over after the first 6 hours.

I created a bark that caused an orgasm in the kitchen a few minutes ago. My 12 year old cam over, and she grabed a piece the fell apart in her hand.

We could have won with my ribs and brisket tonight.

I judge each cook like I learned at my KCBS class.

This was the first time I gave 9's to myself. Only thing now is to get the presentation right.

Made chili last night with leftovers.

Half a sage fatty, and cubed up some brisket that I sliced thick

Don't recall who said you couldn't put brisket in chili, but I do it all the time (think nthole does too)

farking awesome.

Brisket in Chile is great.. adds some smokineness to it thats ya can't get in a bottle(o yeah liquid smoke...ewwwwww)

my results....

I made too much food.. people were walkin around holding their bellies.

first came out 2 Briskets, one my standby and the other injected with Fab B.

(ON a side note with the Fab B. Dont like the color the Fab B turns the brisket.. and the meat had an uneven appearence to it from the injections. Taste was definately "enhanced", but i like the flavor of a plain ole' brisket better. )

The brisket s evaporated in about 5 minutes. 12 people, 2 12lb'ers. One real nice compliment. olne of my guests brought his brother. He worked in Ben's Deli for 12 years.. Bens is a fancy smancy Kosher deli around here. He said than in 12 years he never had a brisket "that tender or juicy with that much flavor and never saw a brisket with that much juice coming out of it." He wants to bring BBQ to the Restaurant. Is oak and Mesquite Kosher?

Sausage rings and Fatties came out next.... poof.. fatties gone in minutes.. no one believed they were jimmy deans, had to show them wrappers from the garbage.

Moved on to a barrage of chicken and ribs, put out a tray of wings while slicing and serving the ribs, then brought out some thighs... Ws experimenting with different sauce recipes to get some insight for competitions..(no one knew they were being guiney pigs). The wings were going like mad.. people were startin to slow down... Kept bringin out ribs(made 9 racks of st louis).. I couldnt tell the difference between the moans from good ribs or the moans from overfull bellies but i had both.. came to the point where people were running away when they see someone coming with a tray of meat..... Few hours later i discovered a pork butt in the coller.. forgot about it.. guess that was a good thing.. beside a few wings.. it was all the leftovers a I had..

then again, they hardly touched the sides.... beans went, but the salads all stayed..

Made a cobbler the chrating way.. got some cherry pie fillings and put it in the dutch oven and layed some pop-n-fresh cinnamon buns on top. Put the dutch oven inm the firebox with some coals on top... worked nicly.. was really good.. and easy to do..

How about stuffing your pork with a pepperoni log? They make some great ones in the Chicago area.

Jim.....I used the Fab-B on my brisket, and the Fab-P on the boston butts, the people just loved both. The flavor was better that I have ever fixed. Worked great for me.

It can be over done by injecting to much into the product.
I don't make any money off of this but it does give a better chance of moist product time after time.
The flavor reminds of beef I remember having as a kid, I think it has that effect on judges also.

jminion said:
It can be over done by injecting to much into the product.
I don't make any money off of this but it does give a better chance of moist product time after time.
The flavor reminds of beef I remember having as a kid, I think it has that effect on judges also.
I made a 12lb brisket. The Fab-B mixture was 1 cup Fab-B to two cups of water.. I ended up using a little over half of the mixture. You mentioned moist, well when I cut into the brisket, juice squirted about a foot, and the flaver was fantastic. I will include this product that you recommended in all the meat that I prepare from now on. The boston butt turned out great also using Fab_P.

i used a 1-2 ratio of fab-b to water and 2 ounces per lb on the briskets. Alot of it leak and shot out too. I dont think it was over injected. The briskets were definately juicy, i just wasn't a fan of the flavor, and its probably the same flavor your talking about that you like(beef u had as a kid).... remember, i came from the boroughs of NY.... Beef to me as a kid was a burger or all beef hot dog.. the Fab B gave the brisket a real strong beefy flavor that was to potent for my taste buds. That "brisket expert" from the kosher deli loved it, so did the guests.. all commented on the flavor... so what I'm yappin about in my post is my personal preference.. and i was in the minority... Also the color was very dark compared to a regular brisket. I'm going to try again with a diluted solution. I bought 5lbs of the fab B and 1lb of fab P and fab C. Didnt try the chicken one yet, but the pork one was really good. We pulled it last night and it was defiantely better than usual. Very moist and i liked the flavor better. We were having that unsauced yesterday(and probably todays lunch). :)

Phil
That "brisket expert" from the kosher deli loved it, so did the guests.. all commented on the flavor
When competing it's not what you like but what most like, give yourself the best chance with the most judges. As you said you were in the minority.

One of the better threads ever and deserves a bump.

For Super Bowl I rolled a 4 lb. loin out as described by Jim Minion and others. Gave it a light coating of Gordon's GrubRub. Chopped a small container of sliced mushrooms, minced 4 cloves of garlic, chopped 12 kalamata olives, 6 monstrous martini olives stuffed with habanero and soaked in vermouth, 8 oz. crumbled blue cheese, 4 oz. cumbled goat cheese, chopped 8 pepperoncini peppers after removing stems and seeds, minced one large shallot, 1 chopped serrano pepper stemmed and seeded. Spread the mixture and then rolled the loin back up and tied it with butchers twine. Rubbed the outside with more Grub Rub. Smoked at 225, and sprayed lightly with apple juice every 30-45 minutes. Best stuffed loin I've ever done.

A couple days later I sliced a 1/4" slice off, put some whole grain mustard on two slices of rye, added a thin slice of provolone, buttered the outside of the bread and browned it in a skillet. Did that again about 5 minutes later.... Foosavered the rest to see how it holds up in the freezer.

willkat98 said:
brdbbq said:
Thanks for the revival.
Nevermind

Testify!!
What a great thread...........and Jorge put some REAL effort into that dish.........Wow! You lucky bastidges........while you were doin' all that cooking, I was praying my farking roof didn't blow off into my neighbors yard during Hurricane Frances!!! :mrgreen: In fact, my Labor Day Bash was scheduled for that day! Rescheduled for my birthday 3 weeks later............and wouldn't you know.............Hurricane Jeanne hits us!!!!!!!!!!!! Stuart, Fla. made the history books that month - the Eye's of both storms striking within 3 miles of each other in 3 weeks. That's when I said:"No party until Hurricane Season is OVER!" - Hence, the Holiday Bash I just had. Pretty scary stuff...........but I guess there's a price to pay for living in Paradise.

Thanks for letting me share...........didn't mean to hijack, but this thread gave me a flashback - BigTime!

Back