Briskets: Separating the "good" from the "transcendent"

For proper feel you should probe with the grain. Going against will give you a false reading. (feel)

I use a wooden skewer and poke the brisket directly from the top. I guess I'm neutral..:grin:

Im finding the longer and lower the collagen and connective tissue breakdown temperature the better the brisket. I found a 24-26 hour cook to an internal temp between 145F and 148F produces amazing results. Still some slight pink in the middle, muscle fibers start breaking down and can be pulled apart with ease, yet can still be sliced thin or thick or chopped.

Just wow. This is really an informative thread. :twitch:

... Therefore, if you are thinking of buying a pellet cooker just to achieve good brisket I highly suggest you do not. It will not change your brisket IMHO. What will is practice and learning from the people here.
Unless, by buying that pellet cooker you are encouraged to cook more often, or having one causes you to feel more confident in firing up your pit, in which case, go for it. As the one truth in your post, cook more often and you will get better.

Im finding the longer and lower the collagen and connective tissue breakdown temperature the better the brisket. I found a 24-26 hour cook to an internal temp between 145F and 148F produces amazing results. Still some slight pink in the middle, muscle fibers start breaking down and can be pulled apart with ease, yet can still be sliced thin or thick or chopped.

Just wow. This is really an informative thread. :twitch:
Did you read the thread that WareZdaBeef started on his method? I can't comment on the result, but, I can tell you there are a lot of food people that love the method he is using. It sure isn't traditional, but, he has an interesting idea.

Back