To Gasket or Not to Gasket

Do you use a gasket on your ceramic cooker?

• Total voters

Kenny Rogers

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Everytime I install a new gasket on my BGE, I always burn it up within two or three cooks. I've noticed that many operate naked, without a gasket. I'm curious how many out there go without?
Any advantages/disadvantages?

I don't have a BGE but having looked at them I would say yes. There must be a reason that you go through them so quickly,

I've got a least 50 cooks on mine including a bunch of high temp steak cooks and pizza. My original gasket is fine except for a place where I dropped a hot coal on it.

I have only had mine a few weeks and after my first pizza where the temp went past the 800 mark the gasket got burnt in the inner half. But it still passes the dollar bill test. I flipped out and thought I screwed up but it seems fine. Not sure if it just gets burnt all the time.

I've got a least 50 cooks on mine including a bunch of high temp steak cooks and pizza. My original gasket is fine except for a place where I dropped a hot coal on it.

Ditto! Had my Eggs for close to 4 years and still on an original gasket that passes muster. I don't cook excessively hot--though I have. Not sure why you're going through them so fast.

Well I LOVE my HIGH heat sears on steaks... I always peg the dome thermometer. I know it's because I cook SUPER high heat. But honestly, I don't see any disadvantage to cooking without a gasket.

Do you replace with factory gaskets or have you used something different like the Nomex?

Last edited by a moderator:
I burnt up my original gasket fairly quickly. I installed a Rutland gasket and have had no problems since. I've had the egg blazing hot many times and the gasket looks like the day I put it on.

I do not have a gasket.Have not had one for 2+ years.No problems.Some people replace with a High Heat NOMEX gasket that BGE will suppy for free if you ask for it.At least they would before "CORPORATE" took over.

Back