Keeping a Lang at constant temperature

F

Fattyboombattybbq

Howdy Folks -

Thinking of investing in a Lang 36 and trying to assess the amount of restocking involved in doing long smokes - how often will I have to tend to a fire if I'm doing a 10 - 12 hour smoke (can I leave it run overnight? Could I with a digiQ?). Will it need constant care every 1-2 hours?

Toying with a Lang vs. a gravity fed.

Lastly, if I am living in the Northeast (snow, rain) do I need to cover in a tarp (rust etc.) and also when I'm cooking in winter conditions is covering it in an insulated blanket (or similar) necessary?

Thanks all.

Boom Batty!

Hi - offsets are not set and forget, sorry. you either use a charcoal maze type with chunks for flavor, and get maybe 3-4 hours at most, or cook with wood and expect to add a split every hour or so. If you want set and forget 12 hour cooks, I recommend charcoal cookers, either a drum, box, or gravity-fed cooker.

I have built my own RF smoker just like a lang . I have to add one split every hour. But it is well worth it. Once I went to a stick burner l will never go back. It is a lot of fire management but well worth it in the end. I do not believe in all the electronic to maintain fire management. I am old school tending to the fire.

hi - offsets are not set and forget, sorry. You either use a charcoal maze type with chunks for flavor, and get maybe 3-4 hours at most, or cook with wood and expect to add a split every hour or so. If you want set and forget 12 hour cooks, i recommend charcoal cookers, either a drum, box, or gravity-fed cooker.

^^^this!^^^

I have a Lang 48 and my experience is the same as others, about one split an hour, unless cold and windy, in which case is may be one split every 30-45 minutes. Do cover it or it will rust in the rain. I live in California, so I don't know about cooking in the really cold, but I would think that covering with an insulation blanket could not hurt, and might help

Offset smokers are the ultimate in my opinion but the are not set it and forget it cookers. They do impart an unbelievable smoky flavor in your food. Cooking with just wood is the core of true BBQ but you do have to add a split every hour. Bye a Lang, you will not be disappointed.

• Thanks
Reactions: kpq
Any off set will require attention but to mee its worth it.
As to the cold, it requiers a bit more attention and as said in windy conditions, attention more often.

Ya I can't do a stick burner - don't wanna babysit it - with my UDS I've left for 4-5 hrs during a Brisket Cook.......Come Spring Time I'll be getting an Insulated Cabinet Smoker- probally Not gravity fed tho. :wink:

opposite ends of the spectrum...

By the time this thread is done someone will tell you to build a UDS...

lang vs gravity

lang smoker cookers are the cadillac of bbq stick burners yes you must feed them every hour to 45 min. but they make the finest bbq in the world

lang smoker cookers are the cadillac of bbq stick burners yes you must feed them every hour to 45 min. but they make the finest bbq in the world

Langs are nice.. But my vote would be for Jambos for the Cadillac Lang is like a nice Chevy impala with all the options lol

The question is do you want to tend it. Your two options are polar opposites. Being in the NE does bring the question of tending it in middle of the night in cold weather into play as well. Maybe get the stick burner and a UDS or WSM for when you do need to set it and forget it for a little while.

You mentioned winter storage...the Lang can stay outside day and night...the fridge cookers need to be stored inside out of the elements...

This wont change the way you cook with them, just how you live with them...

Stick burners are a way of life. You either love it or you don't. there is no other way for me. Charcoal does not give the flavor of a stick burner. I'm not feeling like you are going to love it.

• Thanks
Reactions: kpq
I have a Lang 48 and truly enjoy the process and the superior food that it produces. Amazingly clean smoky taste. That being said, for over night cooks it is not my choice. For that it is the WSM, drum or for big parties the Good One Rodeo. All are charcoal cookers that can be left alone to do their thing for hours at a time. So, you gotta ask yourself one thing: Do you want to make the best bbq you can, or get some sleep?

I know, not mutually exclusive. Just trying to make a point.

I've got a LANG 36 Hybrid and LOVE IT!!! I've used it enough now that I can fully load the firebox (once I get a good base of coals) and crank the draft doors almost fully shut and can keep it at 275 for about 2-2.5 hours! Can't set it and forget it, but once you know your LANG it doesn't require as much attention as other RF stick-burners.

I would definitely consider a blanket if cooking in COLD weather. Mine stays outside on the deck 24/7 with two canvass tarps on it - NO rust.

"We're cooking on a LANG!"

Back