Oklahoma Joe upgrade idea?

C

Cutem all Jack

I am going to look at getting a older Oklahoma Joe from a guy for $50. He says it's only been cooked on a couple times and looks new.

He sent me some Picts of the inside and it looked like the hole going from the fire box to the smoker is around a 5 inch square. To get use out of the entire smoker(instead of having a hot spot for the first foot by the firebox) could I take some tim and bend it into a half circle and carry it from the hole in the fire box all the way across the bottom of the smoker toward the exit pipe and drill 3/8 holes every 3 or 4 inches to release the heat throughout the entire smoker? Has anyone ever experimented with something like this?

Also anybody have any experience with the older Oklahoma Joe smokers? Are they quality or garbage? He said the name tag is riveted on. The new ones are glued on I think? Don't know if that might help with guessing the age?

You can get a convection plate from Horzion.

http://www.horizonbbqsmokersstore.com/servlet/the-335/Convection-Plate--dsh--For/Detail

I'm getting one of these and a better firebox grate. I also put a right angle vent elbow on the inside of the cooking chamber to lower the exhaust to grate level.

I wonder if you could make one of those trays out of a baking tray? You could puck up a couple from goodwill for around $2. Drill some holes bolt them together and that might work?

What's the point of moving the smoke stack lower?

I am using a cookie sheet now, but it has it's limits. I've read where the convection plate will make the entire cooking surface only 10* difference from side to side.

Lowering the smoke stack forces the heat to stay at grate level, so it won't just rise up over the meat. Make sure you don't used galvanized metal! It will put off bad things when heated up.

Have u done any kind testing with the cooking sheet? Bread test or temp test?

I have not done anything specific, but I do notice a difference. The main reason I like it is I burn only wood, so it helps me to keep temp down in the cook chamber so it does't get crazy hot, and keeps the flames away from the food if my fire get's too big due to wind. I just did a $.99 cookie sheet from Wally World to test to see if I liked it, and I do. So I am going to spend the cash and get the plate from Horizon.

I left them an email a few weeks ago and haven't heard back yet (which is very odd because they usually reply really fast). So I'm just going to give them a call tomorrow so I can get this done.

That looks like the same one I'm goin to look at. I don't understand how he has his ( tunning plates)?

How doe's yours cook? Bad hot spot or temp spikes?

Mine is not modified, you do have to be careful about the hot side nearest the firebox. Overall, it's a good smoker and settles in @ 225 with no issues. It tends to want more air and I end up cracking the firebox door.

Back