The Best Mac & Cheese?

Dex

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My wife is a mac & cheese lover and I am on the quest to make some of the best. What recipes do you guys like? I plan on smoking some ribs this weekend and would like to make some mac to go along with!

Thanks! :thumb:

Here is the best I've ever cooked.....

4 POBLANO CHILES
1 CUP PLUS 1 TABLESPOON UNSALTED BUTTER
2 CUPS HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM
1 CUP MILK
1/2 CUP ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
3 CUPS GRATED MONTEREY JACK CHEESE
1 CUP GOAT CHEESE
KOSHER SALT
1 1/2 POUNDS COOKED MACARONI
1 CUP SEASONED BREAD CRUMBS
2 CUPS GRATED ASIAGO OR PARMESAN CHEESE

Roasted Chiles
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the chilies on a greased baking sheet and cook, using tongs to turn the chilies after about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the chilies from the bags and slip off the blistered skins. When cooled, remove the seeds and stems and cut into strips. *Canned – Roasted Green Chilies are easy to find at your local market, and a delicious substitute.

Mac and Cheese
*You may substitute a greased Dutch Oven, cook with coals, both on the top and bottom.
Lower the oven temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Using 1 tablespoon of butter, grease a medium casserole dish and set aside. In a saucepan, heat the cream and milk over medium-high heat. In a separate saucepan, melt the remaining butter over medium heat. Whisk the flour into the melted butter, stirring over medium heat for approximately 1 minute. Slowly pour in the heated whipping cream, whisking the mixture until it thickens. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the goat cheese. Season with salt and set aside. In a large mixing bowl combine the macaroni, cream mixture, and green chilies, mixing gently until well combined. Pour the macaroni into the greased baking dish and evenly spread the bread crumbs and grated Asiago cheese over the top. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the top is browned.

This does look good. Can't say that I have ever cooked with goat cheese either!

cut and pasted to the person cookbook favorites folder.... thanks and that looks really good!!!

RME

My family really likes the Alton Brown mac & cheese recipe. Google it or search the Food Network site.

This one's my favorite....it came from Taste of Homes magazine about 10 years ago. I tend to make it every time I do pulled pork (like last night :becky:):

Ingredients
1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni
6 tablespoons butter, divided
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Directions

Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.

Reduce heat; add cheeses, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Drain macaroni; add to the cheese sauce and stir to coat.
Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs and parsley. Sprinkle over macaroni. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Mac 'N Cheese with Bacon and Cheese
Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence - Food Network

Prep Time: 20 min
Inactive Prep Time: --
Cook Time: 40 min
Level: Intermediate
Serves: 6 to 8 servings

Ingredients:
Kosher salt
1 pound elbow macaroni
4 cups milk
2 or 3 sprigs thyme
4 cloves garlic, smashed and divided
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
5 1/2 cups shredded sharp white Cheddar
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
4 slices bacon, cut crosswise into thin strips
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, smashed
Leaves from 1/4 bunch fresh thyme

Directions

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the macaroni and cook for 8 to 9 minutes, until al dente. Drain.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a small saucepan heat the milk with the thyme sprigs and 2 garlic cloves. Melt the butter in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly, to keep lumps from forming. Strain the solids out of the milk and whisk it into the butter and flour mixture. Continue to whisk vigorously, and cook until the mixture is nice and smooth. Stir in the 4 cups of the cheese and continue to cook and stir to melt the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cooked macaroni and the parsley and fold that all in to coat the macaroni with the cheese mixture. Scrape into a 3-quart baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.

While that bakes, heat a saute pan. Add the bacon, render the fat and cook until crispy. Add onion, garlic and thyme leaves and cook for about 5 minutes to soften the onion. Season with salt and pepper.

To serve, scatter the bacon mixture over the mac and cheese. Use a big spoon to scoop out servings, making sure you get some of the smoking bacon mixture on each spoonful.

Back