First WSM Smoke Today!

boltsfan

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I was going to go with "K" briquettes but decided last minute to go with RO lump. I plan to do the MM so do I fill basket full of RO? How much RO do I light in the starter to pour on top?

I am doing baby back ribs (3 racks) and 2 tri-tips. I plan to start the ribs about 2 hours prior to adding the tri-tips. Can I start with 3-4 chunks of apple and the toss on a few chunks of hickory when I add the tips? Will I get much smoke flavor from the RO lump?

Having 10+ people over for my first smoke today to watch football and expectations are high since I am a good griller\cook. I am a little nervous about maintaining temps...

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

I'd fill the ring completely regardless of choice of fuel. You may want to place the larger pieces of lump on the fire grate first. So that you wont lose any pieces falling down through the grate. I'd also light about 1/4 t of chimney of lit for minion method. Remember catch the temp on the way up. Start adjusting your vents 50-75F from your target temp.

After your temp is dialed in, don't worry, the smoker maintains pretty well. If maintaining temps is of concern, I'd go back to briquettes for your 1st cook, will probably be much easier. And if you do, 15 lit briquettes is about what you need to get her up to 250F.

First cook, yea' what he said ^^^ try to use reg KF.

However, don't stress and keep checking or adjusting, the WSM will stabilize (assuming it's not a windy day by you).

Oh, ya', forgot one more thing. Don't show-off your cook in progress to your guests. If you lookin', you 'aint cookin', as they say.

I don't break up the large lump pieces. If it fits in the charcoal ring, it goes in.
As for my WSM, whether it's briquettes or lump, I follow the same routine.

I fill my charcoal ring to the top with 4 or 5 fist sized chunks of wood mixed in the charcoal.
I light it in 3 places, in between the vents, with a high output propane torch.
I let it go for about 10 or 15 minutes then put the WSM together.
I bring the cooker slowly up to my cooking temperature, then put the meat on.
I do not use water, I use a foiled clay flower pot base in the foiled water pan.

Good luck.

Bob

Back