Fast Food

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Giving the 3 or 4 hour brisket a try today. Got a small brisket and separated the point and flat. Trimmed ALL the fat off that I could from the surface (including fat cap). Got it on the WSM top shelf with no water pan and cooking at 375 degrees with hickory and cherry. We'll see what happens.

Also picked out two full briskets for the first comp April 13. Plan on letting them age in the cryovac in the small fridge I hardly ever open in the basement for the next four weeks.

Tomorrow if the weather holds, I'm going to practice my comp chicken.

Also at Sam's Club today, I picked up four really big ribeye steaks, cut almost 2 inches thick. One I sliced thin with the meat slicer to fry up with some onions and make a Philly Cheesesteak tomorrow and the other three, I coated in olive oil, sea salt and fresh garlic and put in the fridge to marinate. Shortly, I'll be putting those on the Weber Kettle at high heat and cooking mine to medium and my wife's to medium rare. Should be a great next 36 or so hours! :wink:

Jeff - Ya have to take pics of the cheesesteaks !!!! (oh yeah, the high heat brisket too) but definitely the cheesesteaks !!! I like sliced peppers and mushrooms with the onions...

Good luck with the aging briskets... That stuff still scares me a bit, no matter how much I've read about other's doing it successfully. I think I'm gonna leave that up to the steakhouses I occasionally go to but my brisket will have to deal without it...

sounds good Jeff I am doing 3 briskets today also, cooking alittle hotter than normal for me also. Using the stumps today, Not to good on the stumps yet, I do like my Lang. Now it is time to start looking at a Spicewine.

How was Hawaii?

Glad to be home! Fun but even fun gets old when you're away from your smokers and your own bed!

Ummm... update on the brisket... It was on 35 minutes... and at 150 degrees... ready to wrap! DAMN! I think I missed the window and it will be dry. I added some oil over the top and wrapped it. I'm thinking I'm looking at a 1 hour to 1.25 hour brisket unless it hangs! Problem was this brisket started off slightly over 10 pounds and the flat is thin. Probably need to look more at a 15 to 18 pounder to do this effectively. Or just buy a flat that is thicker.

Last edited:
Jeff it was really good talking to you today. I haven't heard from anyone in a while. We need to get together so you can show me some tricks! Hope your brisket turned out. Give me a call and maybe we can find Wayne and do some cookin'..

375 degrees? Wow, that's hot!!!

I've read posts about people having good success at 325 to 350 lid temp on a WSM, but never that high!. Be sure and let us know what you did, and how it turns out. :icon_shy

Just picked up a couple of Sam's Club's "funky flats" today. I say "funky" 'cause they look like they've been run through a planer. Three quarters of the point is gone, but the rest is still there. What are they thinking?

Well, it wasn't all bad. Had the flat been thicker, it probably would have been great. Awesome flavor though! Wasn't dry but could have been a little more tender. Pencil lead thickness of smoke ring. Not good. Point is chunked up and covered in a 325 degree oven to finish. It wasn't done. And I used the coals to grill the steaks (which turned out fantastic!). Next time I try this, I'll get a thicker flat and use a bit more wood. One inch wide slices of brisket would look awful funny in a turn-in box.

Jeff@KC said:
Jeff it was really good talking to you today. I haven't heard from anyone in a while. We need to get together so you can show me some tricks! Hope your brisket turned out. Give me a call and maybe we can find Wayne and do some cookin'..

Count me in :twisted:

So why didn't you do the whole packer instead of splitting it? I saw Thom Emery do one at Q-fest with no seasoning and it came out good.

Back