Newbie Competition Scoring question

midwest_kc

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So last weekend I took part in my first competition, at the Royal (I know, nothing like facing Justin Verlander when all you've done is hit in the batting cage, huh?). Having no illusions of Grandeur, I focused on having a good time (had more fun than I imagined), and cooking my two items as well as I could. My wife's work thing, so I was only responsible for brisket and chicken, but some of my friends and I are considering doing a few comps a year now, and I had a couple basic questions.

1) What would be a decent first time score? I know the weighting system and everything, but I'm trying to wrap my head around what's "Good" (other than 180).

2) How can I get my individual scores (taste, tenderness, appearance)? Obvioiusly we got the total scores in the booklet they passed out after the awards ceremony, but can I see how I did in these areas? Thanks!

Also, I plan on posting some pics here in a bit to my boxes to have them roundly laughed at, but for now, thanks for the feedback on this.

I'll leave the first question for a more experienced team to answer.

To answer your 2nd question, it's my understanding the full judges scoring breakdown will be sent to the team captain via US mail.

Post your boxes and use the feedback, negative and/or positive, to your advantage.

I thought I posted this in the competition forum. My apologies, for the error.

Big Al, thanks for the answer, I suspected this was the case, but wasn't certain.

Anything in the Mid 160's is a pretty decent score. My team concentrated on getting all four categories into the mid 160's and now we are tweaking things here and there and trying to get scores into the 170s. But Id say scores in the 160s for a first time out is pretty good.
If you dont mind what did you get on your chicken and brisket scores? Looked pretty good in the pics.

Back