Country Fried Corn

F

Forney

This sounds really good...

It's from Rick Browne in the latest issue of Chili Pepper.

Country Fried Corn
Yields 4 servings
4 slices thickly sliced bacon
1/2 small onion, chopped
8 ears fresh sweet corn
salt and freshly ground pepper
In a skillet, fry the bacon until crisp, and drain on paper towels. Chop the bacon into 1/4 inch pieces and pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat from skillet.
Add the onion to the skillet, and cook over medium heat until soft.
Husk the corn, and cut the kernals from the ears. Scrape the cobs with the back of your knife to get all the corn milk.
Add the corn and corn milk to the onions in the skillet, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the bacon, season with salt and pepper, and serve.

I'm off to the supermarket to get some sweet corn...

Fried corn is really good. Good timing on this post because I'm seeing ears of the two-tone sweet for $0.20

I'll add my recipe to this thread too...

Three Forks Fried Corn

IMG_0220a.jpg

This is a quick and easy side dish. No, you don't need three forks to eat it, I gave it that name because like a road with three forks, this recipe has plenty of options. No set amounts are listed, I really don't think there is any call for it.

Basic Ingredients

corn - cut fresh from the cob or frozen extra sweet
bacon grease or butter
salt
pepper
sugar - the sweeter the corn, the less sugar you will need

Optional Ingredients

onion - chopped
peppers - chopped
summer squash - sliced or chopped
Lima beans
milk or cream
favorite signature herbs, spices or garnish

For the basic recipe, cut some corn off the ears or use frozen. Heat some bacon grease or butter, add corn, fry over medium heat until it's lightly browned, adding more butter if needed; add salt, pepper & sugar. Stir well and serve.

From the list of optional ingredients I like to saute onion and zucchini before adding corn. Adding Lima beans moves this recipe toward succotash, and the addition of milk or cream at the end (cooking down to your desired thickness) takes it beyond succotash.

Cajun seasoning will really wake this dish up. If you want to move this dish south of the border, try some chopped jalapeno and some Mexican oregano. Topping with parsley and grated parmesan will take it to Italy, sort of. A splash of good balsamic vinegar will get it even closer. Okay you get the drift...the options are endless.

If you did this in a bbq wok and put it in the smoker do you think the corn would take the smoke?

Sounds interesting.

FWIW, I was drawn in by the title, envisioning a battered or breaded ear of corn that is then deep fried.

This sounds good...although the sight of those french fries of Trpfox1's really has me going right now... (hungry mod):mrgreen:

I have done this often, less the bacon. The bacon seems like a good addition. It is a good dish.

My Mom used to make Fried Corn
The next day it would be Fried Corn with a can of stewed Tomatoes in it :)

We do fried corn any time I can talk Mrs Kapn into it (or she is gone) :lol:

All of the recipies above work fine.

Also--change "corn" to "Noodles" and ya got some killer fried noodles.

TIM

Back