Do we not have the 'edit' button in a throw down thread anymore? Or has mine disappeared mysteriously?
Mine's still here, even on your posts.:becky:

By the way...there are imported beers chilling in the Bailey's Tub for those who are interested, Kool-Aid for the rest.

Last edited:
I ain't drinking no Kool-aid, I will have a nice beer, imported you say?

Yep, not a single one of them are from your country of origin. I don't really know how it works, just that it does.:cool:

My idea was to make a Dutch dish because I don't think I've made one yet.
Most of the time it's US,Mediterranean,Asian,Surinam Phood that I make.
I've posted some Dutch dishes when I just joined the Brethren but those were made by my Mom indoors.
Dutch cooking isn't very difficult or exciting so I Phind it a nice challenge to come up with something.

Maybe some homemade smoked slavinken with smoked hutspot...Gore?:thumb:

My idea was to make a Dutch dish because I don't think I've made one yet.
Most of the time it's US,Mediterranean,Asian,Surinam Phood that I make.
I've posted some Dutch dishes when I just joined the Brethren but those were made by my Mom indoors.
Dutch cooking isn't very difficult or exciting so I Phind it a nice challenge to come up with something.

Maybe some homemade smoked slavinken with smoked hutspot...Gore?:thumb:

I was thinking make up some hutspot or stamppot, mold it into a big ball and then smoke it. :crazy: You could do home-made slavinken -- the original fattie. It is oliebollen season now. :heh:

Deep fried Stamppot balls, rolled in Panko, fried in peanut oil? Now that is International.

Cornish Game Hens, Grilled Sweet Potatoes in Thai Red Curry Sauce with Cranberry Infused Green Bean Tempura

(Is that International enough?)

TRC1.jpg

Why negate it, although it has that distinctive Guerry 'mess-o-food' appearance, I bet this tasted good.

Cornish Game Hens, Grilled Sweet Potatoes in Thai Red Curry Sauce with Cranberry Infused Green Bean Tempura

TRC1.jpg
Oooo, fancy. Nice plating actually.

Well, well, well...I am farking STARVING now after seeing these!

Deep fried Stamppot balls, rolled in Panko, fried in peanut oil? Now that is International.

Good thing I got a wok now!:becky:
I'm gonna give this thing some thought...thanks for the inspiration!

Poutine!

When it comes to international food, I think one of the great culinary contributors that is often forgotten about is, that neighbor to the North, Canada! So... what dish to make from Canada? Well, the one that seems to have the biggest following that I know of is Poutine! What is it?
Poutine, from all the definitions that I looked up, is French Fries with cheese curds that is then topped with beef gravy. I found that there were several recognized variations of Poutine involving the use of various ingredients but, the main components are French Fries, a cheese, and a gravy like coating.
Here's how it went!
Gravy came first.
mms_picture.jpg

mms_picture-1.jpg

1121102004.jpg

1121102017a.jpg

Then came the Fries! Nothing fancy, just a couple of spuds cut into strips.
1121102003.jpg

Then into a some hot oil in a cast iron pan that I heated up on the OTG. (It was a little cold out or else I would have made the gravy on there as well.)
mms_picture-3.jpg

Once they were golden brown, onto the plate they went.
mms_picture-4.jpg

Followed by some shredded cheese. (For some reason all my cheese curds vanished.)
mms_picture-5.jpg

Then on went the gravy.
mms_picture-7.jpg

I wasn't sure at first but, man it was looking good. (Please use this, previous, or next pic for TD entry. :becky:)
mms_picture-6.jpg

And then when I pulled a fry out and saw the melting cheese and gravy working together. ooooooohhh yeahhhhh. That's what I'm talking about!
mms_picture-8.jpg

I can see why Canadians love this dish so much! The gravy rocked! The cheese was an excellent compliment and fresh fries are always a winner! :thumb:
Thanks for looking!

TRC1.jpg

Nope...

That's just screamin' CALIFORRRNIIYAY to me!:becky: Apart from that... Damn yeah! I would hit that!... Love you bro!:cool:

Bill

OK... now I'm in trouble 'cause I just dissed Larry and now I'm posting an entry....

But frankly, I'm in a very good mood and I'm up for some friendly banter, and I know I'm gonna get some from Mr. Grail for sure! That's what make this place fun!:wink:

Here's my International Entry: Boerewars Sausage... Home Made... By me.. a Half Dutch / Quarter Irish / Aussie, with help from my half Chinese Son... Cooked By a mad farkin' South African from a recipe provided by an Namibian American...:shocked:

First... we made the sausage... some of you may have seen some of these photo's before... but just proving I made the sausage...

My #2 Son helping out...
DSC_0179_1429.jpg

The two of us had a sort of "Father / Son" good time thingy going with a bit of fun... I made sure the eyeball was thoroughly clean before I dropped it in the mix!
DSC_0182_1432.jpg

After a bit of a laugh... we got the boerewors sausages packed for the freezer.
DSC_0184_1434.jpg

Then just yesterday, being a Sunday in Melbourne, we had the most glorious day. We have been waiting a long time for our Sunshine to come back and the rain to go away. We've had one of the wettest years in history. While that is great for our drought plagued country, it just cheeeeeses us all off when we have a wet one. Last time we had a wet season like this was 12 years ago.

Spontaneously, people came out of their houses... introduced themselves again... sat in front yards, had a beer together. Kids played outside. Family pets ran themselves off their legs, and eventually, as the sun started to set, thoughts turned to food and BBQ.

We all decided to set up the cheap arse Jumbuk Weber Copy in my mad Sth African neighbours' front yard.
DSC_0278_1415.jpg

Firstly, on the cheap arse Jumbuck, all the other meat went on... there was chicken wings and lamb cutlets and a few other delectable things... once that was all off and resting, we gave the Boerewors it's space on the charcoal....
DSC_0282_1419.jpg

DSC_0284_1421.jpg

Here is the Mad Farkin' Sth African turning the Boerewars...
DSC_0290_1427.jpg

Q'd to perfection....(TD Entry Shot Please!)
DSC_0289_1426.jpg

NO plated shots... gone in a heartbeat.

Now the thing is this boerewars was also made with SmokeJumpers Chilteplin chilis that he sent me earlier on this year.... so that ads another Mexican / US influence.

AND this Boerewars sausage went inside to the rest of the extended Sth African Family and there was some serious words said.... they have not had sausage that authentic since being last in Sth Africa. Now, the first time I did this a few months ago, I said... Yeah... sure... you're just being nice to me.

This time, I knew they were not joking.... and I did shed a tear or two....

This is my international TD.

Cheers!

Bill

Question for Smokin' Aussie. Are you planning to enter the Throwdown? Looks like your son and friend did a really good job. :confused:

Back