Atlanta comp pictures

Uncle Buds BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
This past weekend instead of judging we got to compete in Atlanta. This is the 4th year for the Atlanta comp but first year KCBS sanctioned.

We competed here the first year when it was held at Turner Field (Home of the Braves) but since then it has been at Atlantic Station which is located inside of I-285 just north of downtown.

Here is our set up. Notice the Brethren banner!

That's Noah and Tom, my cooking partners.
01.jpg

On Friday this dude shows up and I immediately recognize him as Darryl with BBQ Superstars and he interviews me and Noah. I have no idea what the fark I said because we had a few drinks by then.
02.jpg

The organizer asked us to cook up some drum sticks for the crowd that they sold so Tom took on the task. I like the Atlanta skyline in the background.
03.jpg

The guy on the left is David. He is a judge that cooked with us so he can complete his master judge certification. Notice the BBQ Pitmasters bus in the background.
03a.jpg

The legs came out nice.
04.jpg

The crowd seemed to like them.
05.jpg

We had a steady stream of customers until we ran out!
06.jpg

The public is gone and now it's quite time at the contest.
07.jpg

Skyline at night.
08.jpg

Anyone can light a fire with a plain old chimney but we like to use the jet engine.
09.jpg

This method will light 20 lbs of charcoal in exactly .019 seconds! :p
10.jpg

It's now about 2am and that's David the judge. I offered that he could sleep in the camper with us but at this point I think he was still afraid of us cooks!

11.jpg

Dawn is breaking.
12.jpg

12a.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

The is a local team called "The Pig Lebowski". They had their bowling lane and disco beer pong table going all night.

This is where they sleep after having a night of fun!
17.jpg

I was surprised at how early the Pitmasters production started. I saw crew heading in sometime around 4 or 5am. They started filming as soon as it was light out.
18.jpg

Here are the guys from Tenacious Q. Think they were yelling at Myron!
19.jpg

Oh....looks like he heard them. Now he'll say a naughty word on TV.
20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Here is Doug (Tuff Dawg Grillers) with his big chicken smoker. It's over 7 feet tall. That a big chicken! (Insert jokes here)
23.jpg

24.jpg

Our ribs coming off the smoker. Got 7th place so we were happy.
25.jpg

Our reps. Linda and Ernie at awards.
26.jpg

Group shoot of all of the Pro teams. The organizer has been taking the shot at awards since the first year. Kinda cool.
27.jpg

Well that's it. It was our 3rd and last comp for the year. It's back to judging this year for me so look for more pics and judge reports coming soon.

Yup. It was a really fun time, and thanks for posting the pics. I posted some more over in qtalk as well.

How do you like that bubba grill? I have the 250R and love it
I love mine also!

Most folks start with a stick burner and move up to a vertical or insulated smoker.

I went the other way starting with a couple of Backwoods and added the Bubba Grill to cook whole hogs.

We brought it down to Atl to use for hot holding but ended up cooking the briskets on it. Love the bark and crust from the offset!!!!

Back