Fav Spare/Baby Back brand for Comp.

bob n humble

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
In my little part of the world which is the greater Houston area. I can find Swift, Hormal, Tyson, IBP, Prairie Fresh and no name brand. Don't like the Prairie Fresh. Seems like the bones are always to bent. We got Smithfield last year in Fla. when we cooked a FBA event. I liked them, but no one seems to carry the spares here, and only seen the BB's a couple times. Lately we have good luck with Swift. Kroger carries them so there is alot to choose from if you are willing to go to enough stores.

The last four cases I've cooked, I've gotten from sysco and the box says "the rib company"... they've been pretty good though! Three cases of St.Louis and one case of Baby backs...all 2.5 and down. Gotten my first two top ten rib calls with 'em so I'm gonna dance with that gal till she kicks me to the curb.

I love PSF's but can't get them any more.. I've been liking Swifts here lately.

I've been buying IBPs lately and doing well with them. But in gereral, they seem to have more fat in them than Swift or Smithfield.

Coleman

I use spares from Coleman Natural Meats. The quality of the rib meat is exceptional. Good fat content. If Coleman is not available in your area, Whole Foods carry's Niman Ranch. The quality of their spares is also excellent, though they sometimes tend to have shiners, so you need to be on the lookout for that.

Brett

I use spares from Coleman Natural Meats. The quality of the rib meat is exceptional. Good fat content. If Coleman is not available in your area, Whole Foods carry's Niman Ranch. The quality of their spares is also excellent, though they sometimes tend to have shiners, so you need to be on the lookout for that.

Brett

I've tried those ribs once.. once.. and struck out majorly

They looked awesome !!.. but they were not worth a damn when I cooked them up !!.. I have another buddy who loved them while practicing, then at a contest, he had a a few sets of racks that were horrible !!!.. so, just be carefull !!.. consistency ain't their strong suit, and at $6.99/lb.. just ain't worth it.

Back