Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

I about to get mine started this morning. Burning Brisket, Ribs and baked beans.

What's everyone else cooking this weekend?

Kajunsmoke- Use what ever wood you like the best. Today I have hickory and cherry. I typical like post oak but ran out. Thankfully I've scored a nice batch just need to figure out when I can go get it.

Help a brutha out if you have too much. I love cooking with post oak for beef. Chicken and pork, I'll go with an apple/cherry mix.

LSGVS Finally

I have joined the club.
Here is my story....
On Dec 11th I ordered the LSG 24"x30" Vertical offset with 1/2" firebox, warmer box, gas assist, stainless steel shelf, two thermometers, sausage hangers, the works!
On Feb 17th I emailed Chris and inquired about switching my order to the insulated vertical. He answered my questions and told me it would reduce my wait time by a lot! I thought about my current smoker set up 22" Weber, custom built trailer 24"x60" offset with insulated firebox, Muscrat built 24"x48" offset with a insulated firebox. So, I decide on 2/18 to change my order. I was told that my wait would be short. Lucky me I was next in line production to start on week of 2/23. :eusa_clap Now, just approximately 10 days. 3 weeks go by and I decide just check in. I really was excited and couldn't wait, but I have smokers so I was not chopping at the bits. I received a reply and an apology. After the painters were finished and the final assembly was happening, Chris noticed that the grain on the stainless steel of the two door was going in opposite directions. So, he replaced the skins before shipping. Smoker shipped on 3/17. It arrived 35 miles away from at the shipping depot for deliver the next day 3/18. I called the afternoon of 3/18 to check on delivery. I was told the next morning or at the latest Friday. Okay grueling, but I could handle. Come Friday afternoon no smoker, I call again. They tell me it will not be delivered until 3/25. Crap, but not much I can do. I showed up 3/25. I had to store it for about another week because of work and family commitments. Then finally, I move it from my work to my house the week of 4/6, and finally I get her seasoned on 4/12.
View attachment 109897
This her going through the seasoning process. I sprayed it down with 2 1/2 cans of Pam, loaded it with 18 lbs of Kingsford some mesquite and apple wood for a cook later in the day. Blue After 4 hours, I put on some baby back pork ribs. She ran around 275 most of the time (no water). I put a full lit chimmey in the firebox at 10:30 Sunday morning and she was still at 175 this morning at 7.
There going to be a learning curve here. I have only ever smoked on an offset. I cooked like I would have on my offset. I must have over cooked the ribs because the were DRY!
Overall I love the smoker, it is a BEAST! I love the cooking time and really look forward to utilizing that on brisket and port butt cooks! But the family will be eating a lot of Que while I learn this thing. I really appreciate this thread I believe it will reduce the learning curve.
Thanks to Chris and Amber for answering all of my questions and the attention to details!

Last edited:
I got smoker to 225 at noon by 11 o'clock I opened air valve trying to burn out coals. I had to end up pulling them out. didn't want my baby to sleep outside on the first cook. Here the temp 11 hour into seasoning with a little less than 10 pounds of charcoals.IMG_1434.JPG

Wow! That bark looks awesome. I go into coma every time I cook...

Bummer its rained like every weekend here for the last month...getting withdrawals bad

What? You need to get an ez-up or an umbrella before someone takes your man card away.:laugh:

Agreed! been shopping for some shelter for the smoker! I am going to fire it up a week from this Saturday rain or shine, I am cooking!

My wife thought the metal building I had built was for storage and workshop, but it gets used regularly for "indoor" cooking. Even with a nice day outside, I'll still just open up the doors to get a cross breeze and just cook right there without rolling it outside.

My wife thought the metal building I had built was for storage and workshop, but it gets used regularly for "indoor" cooking. Even with a nice day outside, I'll still just open up the doors to get a cross breeze and just cook right there without rolling it outside.

You got pictures? Still looking for ideas aside from buying an offset patio umbrella or a cheap canopy. Gets pretty windy around here too...

You got pictures? Still looking for ideas aside from buying an offset patio umbrella or a cheap canopy. Gets pretty windy around here too...

It's a 20'X30' metal building with two 10' doors in the front and a 8' rollup in the back.
Here's a view of the smoker by the backdoor. Just open one of the front ones and the backdoor, light the smoker and away we go.

Back