Aaron Franklin's finished brisket

Great Video!

I love the way the meat and the process are the star of the video.
And, the way he acknowledges that there are lots of ways to get where you are going, not just his method.

Lots of good and useful info there for anyone struggling with, or hoping to get into, cooking brisket.

Thanks for the link.

TIM

I wrap the majority of the time. I have not used butcher paper yet. I may have to find some and give it a try.

That mahagony color thing is for all the competition guys.

The brisket he cooks at Franklins is proper BLACK with a real bark. :tsk:

I remember one of the earlier videos he said he would wrap all his briskets if he wasnt doing so many.

wow, talk about a tender brisket. Its disheartening as I was hoping to see him cook a dry tough shoe leather flat so I could feel good about myself.

Perfect example of a great restaurant or backyard brisket...:-D

Good stuff for sure. I went and watched his whole series on youtube last night. Great information in all of them, plus his personality is great.

That brisket was just about perfect! He makes it look so easy.

Great video! After years of practice and failed attempts I finally got it down to smoking a brisket just like that on my offset. I found the knife Aaron uses helpful plus the way he carves the point.

Yeah, I'm a rapper. heheheheee.

Paper is a good deal for sure. Donny T got me back into paper a couple of years ago, but for brisket, I still make a boat with foil (bottom and low sides) to set my paper pouch on. .... when I tear the paper, the foil is a good safety net, and it makes it easier for me to get the pouch off the cooker.

Can you show me your boat?

Can you show me your boat?

Here is what I mean, (and in this picture the foil has been laid open slightly) the foil is mainly on the bottom but large enough to be formed and cup the sides. So the majority of the paper pouch can still breathe. Maybe raft is a better term than boat.

I suppose another layer of paper on the bottom would accomplish the same thing I've just been nervous of poking a hole in the wet paper and loosing juices.

1-5-13010aa.jpg

Another thing that is worthy of mention since we are talking wrapping and foiling... one does not have to seal a foil pouch, the top can remain open. You can still get some braising action and keep the bark on top from getting too soft.

DSC02548aa.jpg

That mahagony color thing is for all the competition guys.

The brisket he cooks at Franklins is proper BLACK with a real bark. :tsk:

so true. I have pics somewhere. Not a bit of mahogany in sight. Jet black and crusty. And they are all wrapped. He cooks at 325 or so and wraps them all at the shop.

We decided to go to JMueller instead of Franklins when we were in Austin. Ended up being good cause John got fired.

it was good before John got fired but he was something else when he was there. I thought it was funny but I can see how some people didn't....especially his sister who bankrolled the deal. They have franklin's old pit boss running it now so they are both still awesome

Back