Brisket & Pork Burnt Ends - with pR0N

*sigh* - I'm not even going to post a photo.

Couldn't win on this one. Afraid I overcooked this one... no floppy feel... must've cooked all the fat out of it and missed the sweet spot. Damn. First time for me cooking a brisket (flat) too far!

Well... Momma's baked beans and garlic sautéed green beans are the winners tonight.

Does it just crumble when sliced or break in two when folded? It wasn't a total loss, you had some great looking pork burnt ends.
I would rather have it undercooked slightly than over cook a brisket, just me.

Does it just crumble when sliced or break in two when folded? It wasn't a total loss, you had some great looking pork burnt ends.
I would rather have it undercooked slightly than over cook a brisket, just me.

The bits on the ends crumble. The thick bit seems a bit undercooked... but it's like there's no fat left in it...

But, alas... All is NOT lost!

It's amazing what a simple mop sauce (served with the brisket) can do.

Ingredients:
Apple Juice/Cider
Apple Cider Vinegar
Bourbon
Worcestershire Sauce
Lemon Juice
Dry Rub

- Bring it all to a simmer and let it reduce by about 1/2.

Each slice of this brisket seems to soak up the sauce, open up... relax... and then... it's tender and delicious like it should've been in the first place.

The bits on the ends crumble. The thick bit seems a bit undercooked... but it's like there's no fat left in it...

But, alas... All is NOT lost!

It's amazing what a simple mop sauce (served with the brisket) can do.

Ingredients:
Apple Juice/Cider
Apple Cider Vinegar
Bourbon
Worcestershire Sauce
Lemon Juice
Dry Rub

- Bring it all to a simmer and let it reduce by about 1/2.

Each slice of this brisket seems to soak up the sauce, open up... relax... and then... it's tender and delicious like it should've been in the first place.

That's good to hear. One thing it's not only fat that gives the meat moisture, it's also the connective tissues breaking down. You might not see the fat, but the connective tissue is still there to give it moisture.

Could you have fried the brisket in butter to moisten it, thats how we reheat some meats for service?

When I reheat it for future meals this week, I'll do what I typically do: use some of my "mop sauce" as a nice liquid base to slowly reheat the brisket in a skillet. The flavors meld nicely and the meat gets nicely rehydrated. Win-Win in my book.

Those pork burnt ends look great! :thumb:

I wonder if you just didn't end up with a "bad" brisket. I've heard of people having similar issues on the occasional brisket (even with prime briskets). I guess it has to do with the way the fat (that you can't see) runs through or the lack of it.....
I had a similar experience like yours once and thought it was something I did (I still wonder :becky:) but several people told me sometimes it's just the meat.....

Back