Hey Josh... (smoke ring illustrated)

Kirk

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack the "what's cooking" thread so I posted this here for you. If you want a good idea of what a smoke ring is, look at this thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20968&highlight=smoke+ring
If your chicken was pink on the outside, that's OK. If it's pink on the inside, that's not good. An instant read themometer will help you determine if your chicken is done or not. The smoke ring is a reaction of the meat to nitrates in the smoke. The reaction stops once the meat reaches 140 degrees. If you want a more distinct smoke ring, be sure the meat's still cold when it goes in the cooker (or use Tender Quick, but that's a different story). That way, it's exposed to the smoke longer before it reaches the temp where smoke ring formation ceases.
HTH, Kirk.

chicken will sometimes pick up a pink color near the bone even though it is done. it still to most people will look undercooked. Ive seen it in numerous bbq joints and have people question my chicken sometimes. Ive even over cooked chicken in the beginning because of this. But using a instant read thermo u can get pretty accurate on them. u want it 160 in the breast and 180 in the thigh i believe.

FatDaddy said:
chicken will sometimes pick up a pink color near the bone even though it is done...
Yep, I've seen that happen too. That's why a thermometer's such a big help.

Same here on the chicken it can get pink close to the bone but it is still done. the thermometer does not lie.

One additional concern at times is "bloody looking" fluid close to the bone.

If it looks raw or bloody close to the bone, do the paper towel test.

Using a clean paper towel--soak up a bit of the juices. If it is red on the towel, it is blood and needs to be cooked some more.
If clear--done. Eat and enjoy the moist chicken.

TIM

FatDaddy said:
chicken will sometimes pick up a pink color near the bone even though it is done. it still to most people will look undercooked. Ive seen it in numerous bbq joints and have people question my chicken sometimes. Ive even over cooked chicken in the beginning because of this. But using a instant read thermo u can get pretty accurate on them. u want it 160 in the breast and 180 in the thigh i believe.

FatDaddy, I've been pulling my thighs at 165-170 and have had no problems so far, took first in Chicken two weeks ago :-D

Usually have pink

I have found that my chicken will tend to have both a nice smoke ring and also be pink near the bone. I cook thighs and legs and use an instant read digital thermometer, but trust the clear juices method the most.

I tend to see more of a red center on chicken that has been frozen rather than fresh chicken. Your thigh bone, for instance will be more purple if the chicken was frozen, too.

Back