Char Sui Pork Chops

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
So this week I've been doing the heavy lifting to finish a vertical cabinet custom build but tonight I put down the grinders and welder to fab up some dinner. Hoping to get to paint on Sunday and then I'll post a build thread, but first to dinner.

We wanted pork steaks but they looked like crap so I found some killer 12 oz bone-in pork chops instead. Landarc has been very gracious in the past by sharing his Grandpa Kwock's heirloom char sui recipe and cooking tips. Wanted something a little different so I skipped the catsup in the recipe and substituted Extra Hot Minorcan Datil Sauce (a local family made product from St Augustine, FL) and added some of the same to the honey glaze, probably got a little heavy handed on both. Also did a light dusting with Oakridge Habanero Death Dust before adding the marinade for 24 hours. Didn't think Grandpa Kwock would mind.

On to the 26.75 OGT indirect at about 375 for 30 minutes, then brushed with the honey-datil pepper sauce glaze and turned. The glaze is staying hot in the little CI crock on the grill.

2014-01-24181309_zps7989e725.jpg

After the glaze set, maybe 10 minutes of indirect heat and smoke, hit them with a fresh coating of glaze and moved to the hot side for a quick sear, re-glazing and turning every few minutes until a 155 IT then removed from the heat and let rest under a foil tent for 10 minutes.

2014-01-24182711_zps41fa91e1.jpg

2014-01-24182916_zpsc94ff11c.jpg

Added some veggies and it was time to eat.

2014-01-24183702_zpsea02a9dd.jpg

Very interesting combination of flavors. The Asian/Char Sui hit right up front but it was not too spicy. The heat came on as an after burn, again not overly hot but certainly a good hit. Definitely a do over and this would make some rockin baby backs or killer Asian chicken wings!

A big thanks to Landarc for the recipes and cook tips and thanks to y'all for watching.

Looking good! I love a good tasty sauced pork chop!

Looks good, but did you have little holders for the corn?

:-D

Dang that looks awesome!!!!!

So I need to make a trip south to visit and enjoy the fine company and food....maybe one day

I really like the color that takes on. Think I'm gonna have to try that soon.

Looks great!

Any photos of the cabinet smoker? I really enjoy seeing your builds!

Thank you. Weather looks like tomorrow might be a paint day, then look for a build thread.

Looks great!

Any photos of the cabinet smoker? I really enjoy seeing your builds!

Back