***SPECIAL*** Discussion Thread -> "National Pizza Month!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

If Ronelle had just thrown some lamb on his gravy breakfast pizza, he might have just gotten the TD Trifecta!

Baked Mussel Pie

I love Pizza! So in the spirit of Pizza Month, I’m going to enter a few of my more interesting pizzas. The first one was supposed to be my “Clambake Pizza”. Olive Oil, Parmesan, Romano, Spinach, Clams, and Bacon. But when I got to the seafood counter they only had about a dozen clams left and I needed to make two pizzas. Not to worry, they had plenty of mussels. So I decided to also make a “Baked Mussel Pie”.

I figured we could do a side by side taste test. Funny thing was that 3 of my friends had Mussel Pizza, but wouldn’t eat the Clam Bake Pizza because they don’t like clams. I don’t get it. So with my group the Baked Mussel Pie was the favorite because of the abstention of 2-3 people.
But then I’ll needed to decide if I should enter them separately or together. I guess I’ll enter them separately and see which one gets more votes.

So here goes the “Baked Mussel Pie”
First a swirl of Olive Oil, then the Parmesan and Romano cheeses. A sprinkle of garlic, then a few spinach leaves and then the mussels.
Pizza-09.jpg

Then the Bacon!
Pizza-10.jpg

Here’s my entry photo: “Baked Mussel Pie”, hot out of the oven!
Pizza-11.jpg

Clambake Pizza:

Clambake Pizza:
Olive Oil, Parmesan, Romano, Spinach, Clams, and Bacon. I just love the concept of this pizza. Simple build, just a quick swirl of oil, sprinkle the cheeses and garlic. Top it with spinach and clams and bacon. The clams literally pop open in the oven, you can hear them. When the pie come out you dump the nectar and scrape out the meat from each clam onto the pie. All the juices combine with the cheese and the bits of clam to make a flavor explosion in your mouth.
Just the entry photo—
Pizza-12.jpg

Wisconsin’s Finest Pizza:

Wisconsin’s Finest Pizza:
Bratwurst, caramelized onions, cheese curds, and pink sauerkraut, all on a base of grainy mustard mixed with mayonnaise. It really tastes like you are eating a brat on a bun with all the fixings. I picked up the brats at a local shop where the make their own, and the cheese curds are made locally too. (In case you’re wondering where you get pink sauerkraut, all you do is finely slice some red cabbage, sprinkle it with a bit of salt and put it into a jar for 3-4 weeks.)
Pizza-13.jpg

Here it is just in the oven
Pizza-14.jpg

Here’s my entry photo
Pizza-15.jpg

Pizza alla Puttanesca

Pizza alla Puttanesca
Probably shouldn’t translate from the Italian on this family website – nevertheless a few years ago I caught Nadia G’s Spaghetti a la Puttanesca episode and realized that this pizza, a family favorite, had evolved to have a lot of those same ingredients. So I finally have a name for it.

This summer, our discovery of anchovy stuffed olives turned out to really catapult this pizza to one that we make every time we fire up the oven. We cut the olives just in half and they impart just the perfect amount salty fishy anchovy umami to the pie. For this pizza I used a a crushed tomato sauce, Scaramoza cheese chopped into cubes, a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, pepperoni, anchovy stuffed olives, and marinated artichoke hearts.

Here it is ready for the oven:
Pizza-16.jpg
Here is the entry photo:
Pizza-17.jpg

My entry is a pork verde pizza. You can read about the cook here http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2674960#post2674960

8f1f.jpg

Wish I had noticed this earlier ---- has anyone added a stone to their off-set pit and cranked it up to 500 or so to make a pie? Please let me know if you have and how it worked out.

Wish I had noticed this earlier ---- has anyone added a stone to their off-set pit and cranked it up to 500 or so to make a pie? Please let me know if you have and how it worked out.
I just got a stone and will be trying pizza soon on the grill top of my offset firebox since it has a domed lid. Will post up results when I do...

I can't believe Moose has not entered a pizza. :shock:

CD

If you read the text I wrote underneath the picture in this post:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2669565&postcount=1

You will understand why I have not entered a pizza yet...:rolleyes:

Ronelle has time to enter TDs. What's a Pizza TD without an entry from Moose?

The winner will be forever haunted by, "Would I have beaten Moose?" If you are okay with that, then don't enter. If I win, I want an asterisk by my name. *Moose didn't enter.

CD :becky:

Back