Pork Stock in Kielbasa?

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Hell yes! :clap2:

I made some pork stock from bones from a whole pig I cooked a couple weeks ago. I made some kielbasa today out of the Rytek Kutas book "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" (a must have for sausage making and meat curing IMO) and figured I'd substitute pork stock for water in the mix. That was a good move. :thumb: I did something like this a little while back when I put chuckie drippings in a batch of garlic sausage and got a very good result.

I didn't make a lot of links/rings today because I didn't realize I was running out of farking casings :tsk: but I at least have some bulk for a fatty or 2. :whoo:.

Here are today's sausages hanging out - I used hickory and threw some cherry chips on the fire:

Photo1-121.jpg

I cooked 'em low until the casings dried, and kept 'em low to get 'em nice & smoky. I hung out around 130 for a couple/few hours. I cranked up to around 180 after I figured it was time to get things moving. When they hit and IT of 150-ish, I gave 'em an ice bath to stop them from cooking more.

Photo1-123.jpg

Then a quick dunk in boiling water to tighten up the casings.

Photo1-119.jpg

This is one I yanked out of the cooker. It tasted fanfarkingtastic. The best part was my son really liked it - it makes me really happy to see my young'uns enjoy something I've cooked. :thumb:

Photo1-120.jpg

Soooo...I've learned that pork stock is good stuff. I think I'll be hanging on to bones after cooking any kind of bone in pork and making stock with it so I'll always have it around for things like this, for beans, etc.

Early on, as the pork stock was thawing out, I asked my son if he wanted a pork slushee but for some reason he declined. :tsk:

Thanks for looking!

:clap:

Wow
Those look great, and great idea using the pork stock. I try to do a stock whenever I have bones leftover, you never know when you'll use it!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Very, very nice work, .... and you are right, the Kutas book is the Bible.

Using ice cold stock is an excellent idea. Instead of ice water, some of my recipes call for cold beer and one Sicilian recipe calls for ice cold white wine and Parmesan cheese. I'll be passing the broth trick along to my buddies.

• Thanks
Great idea and that looks farking delicious!!! I make chicken and beef stock but haven't thought about pork stock because ???? maybe I am half brain dead or something??

• Thanks
Great idea and that looks farking delicious!!! I make chicken and beef stock but haven't thought about pork stock because ???? maybe I am half brain dead or something??

That can't be it. I'm at least half brain dead and I made it - so it must be something else. :twitch:

It doesn't seem to be too common, and when I googled it there weren't very many recipes for it at all. Not sure why.

Mmmm... love the looks of your kielbasa Greg! Looks fantastic!! :thumb::mrgreen:
Great idea with the stock too. I'll give it a try, Thanks!!

• Thanks
Interesting use of the pork stock, I like it. I must say the Kielbasa looks good the only thing missing is some sauerkraut!

• Thanks
Man that looks farkin excellent! Pork stock will def be in my future, thanky.

• Thanks
My grandson just expressed an interest in a batch of kielbasa. I have the book and like your idea of the stock. Thanks for the idea.

• Thanks
Back