Farm 2 Fork- Homegrown pork BBQ

f2f

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello All,
Here is my dilemma/Plan, we raise purebred Berkshire hogs, I want to buy a big smoker and get this product into the general public and make some money off it. I have been practicing BBQ for years and feel I have a pretty good handle on Butts, etc. I notice from looking around that there are so many kinds of smokers offset, rotisserie, electric, insulated... I am looking at a few units that are trailer bbq unit in the 5k to 7k range. I am a contractor and am no stranger to regulations, licensing, insurance etc. and have looked and checked with health dept. about logistics. (still scary) Thinking of starting with temporary status at a few local events, or fundraisers.

?'s and advice wanted
Should I cook whole hog or just the front and hind quarters and sell the bacon, and chops separate?

BBQ/smoker- unit I am looking at has wood fired rotisserie with warming units and a direct wood fired grill with a warmer attached. Not sure how I'd do a full size whole hog with racks in the way and getting a hog scalded and scraped around here is out for usda style anyway.

sorry for no caps, left hand not working.

whole hog is a pretty hot commodity down here in california. most places will scrape and burn the hair for you from the packer, of course, only a small hog will fit on a portable rotisserie cooker. i think if you go whole hog, you will find a willing market for your product in oregon, but, get a hog cooker, not a rotisserie.

now, what i think you will find, is that ribs and belly are huge sellers for a premium price, versus whole chopped hog, and i think you should do a little research in regards to that factor.

Thanks for the input. I agree capability to cook whole hog would be ideal. Do you have any suggestions for a unit that is capable and looks the part? Seems mid-west to south-east have most of the smoker units. Yes one of my plans is to sell the pork belly and ribs for a premium as these hogs are considered the "Kobe beef" of the pork world. The idea is to help offset the high price of raising homegrown compared to what commercial pork goes for and help market our product. We can't even produce the meat for near common retail price and it is hard to find buyers for whole hog. I checked around our local usda meat cutters and no one has a scalding tank anymore.

Back