Butt fell on pit probe... oops..

thegizzard

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So...

Boston Butt falls over, lands on pit probe. Heat cranks up from its 300* setting to about 500* for about two hours. I see what happened and fix it. Now I am at an internal temperature of of 200* and a pit temp of 400* ... its a 6.5# butt that's reached temp in just over 3 hours... I expected to cook it for 3-4 more hours....

so.. is it ruined?

If the boston butt is at 200 degrees IT, probe it to see if it is tender. if it is, it is done. You probably won't get as much smoke flavor from it as it probably reached 160 degrees too fast to impart a good amount to it.

Ruined? Probably not. Probe it to see if it is tender.

you got a hot and fast butt! Nice, I have a whole hog cut up on 5 Webers right now going hot and fast! (borrowed Rotiss smoker crapped out when setting up this morning)

It probed tender, so its wrapped in a cooler now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

The title got my attention.
I believe that is illegal in Wisconsin :tsk:

Seriously, rest it and enjoy.

.Eat it and if it tastes awful then it is ruined :razz:. That's the only way to really tell

probe ity to see if its tender. If it is, foil it and wrap in a towel then set in a warm cooler. It will stay hot for another few hours and you can still eat when you planned.

Not my best work. But edible. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

it will not be tender if cooked that hot, at least not right now, wrap in foil and place into a cooler / cambro and allow to rest for 3-4 hours and the long rest will break down the rest of the collegen in the meat and it should be spot on. the hotter and faster the cook the longer the rest period needed.

Back