need some help, smoking my first bologna

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
as a child, my grandfather, and later my uncle, owned a small delta grocery store. one of the big treats of the summer was going up and hanging out at the store all day and eating penny candy, drinking icees and eating bologna slices out the meat cooler. the fact that there was a pacman and space invaders machines that we had a key to didn't hurt for sure!

i haven't eaten bologna since then, but running through a small grocery store today, i came across a 3 lb. tube of bologna. this is about half the diameter of the stuff we used to eat in the grocery store. i'm wanting to smoke it on the small big green egg this weekend, but could use some tips on cook times and seasonings. i'm thinking i'll slice it it half and try two different ways. i'm also thinking that by doing that, i can actually get each half to stand flat on it's end. should i "score" it before i season it? after i season it? if is should score it, how deep should i penetrate?

thanks in advance.

here is what i'm dealing with.....

(for reference, that's a regular piece of paper it's sitting on, 8.5x11)

6abb7506.jpg

Yep, scoring makes it look pretty. Rub makes it even tastier. Just cook it and you will be oh so happy.

N8man did one a while back. You might check his out. It looked dang good!

OMG!!! You guys are killing me I am only half way threw smoking some chunkies and now my gut is screaming for some bologna. Larry and Cowgirl as always your cooks look awesome but that stuffed Bologna is over the top I HAVE to try that

Last edited:
how does one slice a big piece of bologna to lay out like that to be stuffed?

how does one slice a big piece of bologna to lay out like that to be stuffed?

It's tricky! I butterflied it like a loin or backstrap. It doesn't lay completely flat.. it still has some curl to it.

I was never a huge bologna fan until I saw Cowgirl's and a couple other Brethren posting. I smoked some awhile back and then sliced really thin and fried with some eggs. Good stuff.

score 1/8" to 1/4". I've found that rub doesn't always stick real well to surface of bologna so you may want to consider a light mustard slather first. Bologna is already cooked so you just want to smoke it so it gets some flavor and heated thru. I generally cool mine, slice then grill anyways.

Attachments

• chubnfatties.jpg
    chubnfatties.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 76
I was wondering what I wanted to smoke this weekend, read this post, and am wondering no more. Haven't smoked bologna in a while, though I don't know why. It is some really good stuff! Think i'll put some spam on too... Never smoked spam before.

Big thanks for the inspiration!:thumb:

It's really hard to mess up smoked bologna. One of my fav's is to score the daylights out of it and cook it until you like the way the outside looks to you. Then wrap it in foil with either banana pepper rings or jalapeno peppers form a jar, juice and peppers, and put it back in the smoker for another hour or so. Crazy good!

Smoked bologna is big in my parts. A few buddies and I did a fund raiser a couple of weeks ago and sold 180 3 Lb. sticks of the stuff. It is really simple and everyone loves it. Be creative.

A pic of it after being cooked and on hold waiting to be picked up or delivered.

Attachments

• IMG_0050[1].jpg
    IMG_0050[1].jpg
    70 KB · Views: 65
Back