• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Results announcement protocol

T

Tweedle

I hope you all can help answer a question for me.

We just finished our 2nd ever comp this past weekend, so I'm not very well versed in how things flow. That being said I was under the impression that it was customary to announce the top 10 in each category even if they only have prizes for the top 5 or whatever.. Is that usually how it goes?

The reason that I ask is we placed 6th in chicken and after our caustic chicken comment card at our first contest I was stoked. We tied the 5th place team in score but lost on the tie breaker. We also place 8th in pork. Now I don't know about the rest of you but I'm not in it for the money, I have an ego to feed and he went hungry this weekend...

Not complaining just wondering how it "usually" runs.

Most good reps will make sure the top 10 are called. But if time is a concern for the organizer they have final say.

ok thanks. I forgot to say it was the Organizer tyhat did the announcements not the reps. The reps did stop them and have them announce the top 5 overall instead of just the grand and reserve. The reps ths weekend were great I have a few things I will keep to myself about the organizers though....

also place 8th in pork. Now I don't know about the rest of you but I'm not in it for the money, I have an ego to feed and he went hungry this weekend... Not complaining just wondering how it "usually" runs. [/FONT]

They definitely should call top 10 even if only the top 5 go to stage for an award. NH is not known for having a great award ceremony.

They definitely should call top 10 even if only the top 5 go to stage for an award. NH is not known for having a great award ceremony.

They made it seam as if we were bothering them by having the awards ceremony..

They made it seam as if we were bothering them by having the awards ceremony..

Read into it how you like... I chose to drive 8 hrs to cook at Boston Hills over a 90 minute drive to Merrimack.

There are upsides to the event that I completely get such as it being an automatic to the jack.

NH comp seems like a real thrown together $hit fest. I would think that is why an automatic that has been there for a few years can only get 37 teams. I drove 8.5 hours instead of 5. I couldn't even get them to respond to a few simple emails.

NH comp seems like a real thrown together $hit fest. I would think that is why an automatic that has been there for a few years can only get 37 teams. I drove 8.5 hours instead of 5. I couldn't even get them to respond to a few simple emails.

You should have seen the turn in boxes 7x7's instead of 9x9's. They also complained to us about the brown grass at everyones cooksite as we were leaving. Plus the pay out for GC was only slightly higher than the whoopie pie eating contest pay out.... I would do it again only because its close to us and money is tight. we need every contest we can get being a new team so I would enter again but out of neccesity not because it was a good contest.

That being said We had a blast this past weekend.

This contest is know for what it is, an automatic to the jack period. the fact is the contest woudnt happen if the Rotary was not required to have it as part of its approval to have the rest of the event. NEBS protocall is to have organizers call from 10 down in the 4 meats, most events do this. But as you observed, this was far from a cooker friendy event. You worked very hard to earn that call ( i was watching you) and your did get the short end of the stick. But you have a lot of really cooker friendly contests ahead! :p At least you didnt get 3/4 of check like we did.

I hate hearing about bad things for this comp. Someday I will eventually have to make it out there... Unless NH gets another contest for me...

I guess you answered my question Chris. You weren't at NH. So who cooked it? Andy and your bro?

This contest is know for what it is, an automatic to the jack period. the fact is the contest woudnt happen if the Rotary was not required to have it as part of its approval to have the rest of the event. NEBS protocall is to have organizers call from 10 down in the 4 meats, most events do this. But as you observed, this was far from a cooker friendy event. You worked very hard to earn that call ( i was watching you) and your did get the short end of the stick. But you have a lot of really cooker friendly contests ahead! :p At least you didnt get 3/4 of check like we did.

Thanks! So did the bank cash it or did they cut it up enough so they don't have to pay out lol..

suggestions here is my chicken box

chicken.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll post

Suggestions? Fill the box!!! Given that it was only a 7x7 and you have all that green showing, you probably should have squeezed in 9 thighs instead of six, especially since the thighs are small. Other than that, I think that's a 9 on appearance anyway. You're definitely on the right track! :clap:

I really wish you wouldn't hold back on your comments :laugh:

You didn't like that presentation? You thought maybe the MC opening with a story about vomit was in poor taste at a cooking competition? Believe me, it was a big improvement over past presentations.

Last edited:
Back