BBQ Brethren Throwdown - "Lamb"

Wayne we have 24 hours as per the header rules....9 pm central 9/8 so yep Chris one more day, we will be entering with tomorrows dinner as we just rolled in from Minneapolis. Stiff competition so far though.....Im just lucky I get to eat the results regardless of the throwdown!

9/8?? Six months is pretty generous....:biggrin: I thought the cooking was over on 3/8 (today), and we have until 9pm Monday (3/9) to post pictures. All that said, you've laid out your plan, so as far as I'm concerned, you're in.....

I'm sorry, but Wayne is correct, the food must be cooked from teh Monday-Sunday period. There is an extra period of time to allow people to post their photos, which goes until 9pm Central the next day (Monday).

Rick, you can post as many dishes and photos as you like, but you must select only one photo from one dish as your entry. As you requested, I will use the second entry you posted today.

These entries are great so far!:biggrin:

OK Chris, don't forget these that you cooked in Havasu!! They were the bomb!!

Smokinthelamb.jpg

I'm sorry, but Wayne is correct, the food must be cooked from teh Monday-Sunday period. There is an extra period of time to allow people to post their photos, which goes until 9pm Central the next day (Monday).

Rick, you can post as many dishes and photos as you like, but you must select only one photo from one dish as your entry. As you requested, I will use the second entry you posted today.

so in other words, there is only one entry. use the pineapple photo please

I'd say it comes down to which photo rick chooses to enter. The 1st, 2nd and 4th photos have no sides in them, just meat.

9/8?? Six months is pretty generous....:biggrin: I thought the cooking was over on 3/8 (today), and we have until 9pm Monday (3/9) to post pictures. All that said, you've laid out your plan, so as far as I'm concerned, you're in.....

so in other words, there is only one entry. use the pineapple photo please

You mean use the one with the side dish??

WOW I think we need to have more rules in order to have a successful throwdown.

The rule about when food must be cooked has ALWAYS been in place, since the first throwdown. The only rules that have been modified are that I now allow as many photos (no longer limited to only 3), and only one entry per person.

Nature Boy asked for this weeks throwdown to have no sides and have it be about the meat only. I didn't think that sounded too difficult, and so far I am not seeing any problems with the entries in regards to that rule.

It seems more and more like each week that people want to make changes to these Throwdowns because they are unhappy about one thing or another. I realize not everyone can be satisfied and have tried to be very open to these suggestions, and even allowed polls so people could have a mojority vote decide.

I am reaching the point where no additional suggestions will be accepted and you either play by the existing rules, or don't play at all. It's not very easy doing this little "service" for everyone each week. It's not worth this kind of hassle.

Did a lamb fattie for this weeks throwdown:
01.jpg

Ground up some lamb.
04.jpg

Stuffed with onions, tomato and feta cheese.
07.jpg

Rolled it.
13.jpg

Smoked it.
16.jpg

Ate it!
WooHoo!

Nature Boy's entry inspired me to give the rack of lamb a try tonight on the BGE.

I'm not entering the throwdown, since it had to be cooked last night, but that just looks too good not to attempt it.

I'm new to cooking lamb, so what would be a good rub that compliments it well? Since this is sort of last minute, something I can throw together...

Thanks!

I liked mine with just salt, lemon pepper, garlic powder and black pepper, lightly seasoned, but I'm sure someone will post something really interesting!:cool:

I wanted to enter but was too sheepish to enter this one as my first lol!!!!!!!

You mean use the one with the side dish??

what side dish? the grilled pineapple and grilled green onion? GARNISH:!:

"5) This weeks entry photo must be all about the meat. No sides, drinks, etc. are to be included in the entry photo. Garnish is allowed so long as the garnish is meant to be eaten with the Lamb."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garnish_(food)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_dish

disqualify me if you must, but those are garnishes intended to be eaten with the lamb. and they were. by me. last night. and it was good. dang it.

i also believe i am still within the rules by posting two different lamb dishes cooked two different nights, but with only one vote thread photo. if this is not correct, please let me know.

too many rules is making me not want to play. adding prizes to this will make it even worse. i take back my vote for prizes. and i think i'll just post my cooks in my own threads. i kind of miss that and it seems my only post each week is the throwdown. i want to cook want I want for a change.

I hear your frustration Rick. These Throwdowns are turning from "fun" into "serious competition", which I find silly since all you win is bragging rights.

Garnish is acceptable and in the rules. I just needed a clarification. I have never heard of green onions as a "side" before, and since the lamb is sitting on top of the pineapple I believe that is a clear garnish as well.

I'll allow it.

Sounds good to me! My original idea was to have this entry be about the meat. Instead of entire plates of food with cold beers in the back, and contrasting colors from additional items, I figured lets just do meat. Instead of a still-life picture....with several elements...I was thinking we could do it with minimal contributions from side ingredients. That was my goal, but fact is I did write that garnish was okay if it was meant to be eaten with the entry. Leaves a lot to interpretation for sure! And Rick's way of interpreting it is fine with me.

Rick, you continually amaze me with your skills, and I can't believe you are doing this chit for free. $2500 a day is the pay for someone with your talent!

Chris, and everyone else involved, thanks for doing this. It is a nice diversion from normal life. And a lot of fun to watch as it develops each week! I will try and enter a couple more over the next few months if I get time.

Cheers!
Chris

Nature Boy's entry inspired me to give the rack of lamb a try tonight on the BGE.

I'm not entering the throwdown, since it had to be cooked last night, but that just looks too good not to attempt it.

I'm new to cooking lamb, so what would be a good rub that compliments it well? Since this is sort of last minute, something I can throw together...

Thanks!

Heck, If I were you, seeing how you have a rack of lamb anyways....and since they are after all, ribs....snap a few shots and enter them in this weeks "Rib Throwdown". I like a garlic butter slather on mine, light at the beginning then another dose right before they come off the pit. But traditional seasonings like rosemary along with some salt and cracked pepper is good too. Try an olive oil base if you go that way. If you like balsamic vinegar, you could do a brown mustard/balsamic slather, that combination is really nice too. In fact, a picture with balsamic drizzled on the plate would be killer.

Chris (Nature Boy), I hope you enter in future contests as well. I thought the additional rule would be straightforward and easy for all to understand and abide by. Unfortunately, adding new wrikles to the Throwdowns tends to cause more confusion. I am learning this through trial and error after making my own changes, and then adding new rules.

[rant]

It is a bumpy ride working through these changes and I hope I can keep my cool, and everyone else keeps competing so long as they find this "fun". In my opinion, the throwdowns are about one thing, and one thing only, and that is "fun" above all else.

The "ribs" throwdown thread is already posted and I can not change it. Beginning the week after that, I am going to keep a simple set of immutable rules. These rules will center around the contest being open and purely for fun. Anyone who may have hoped for these Throwdowns to evolve into more serious competition may be discouraged. that is their right, and they can go compete in other competitions with the competitive spirit they are looking for, it will not bother me one bit.

To everyone who has ever entered, thank you for making the Throwdowns exciting. To everyone who has ever considered entering, please do. You ahve nothing to lose, and really, nothing to win either really. Except for maybe a certificate (however important that is to you) and picking the next category. It's about having fun cooking a common category. That's it and I am going to try and keep it that way as best I can.

[/rant]

Back