• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tilapia Tacos and Homemade Salsa Verde

Fake Farmer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Thanks to Tonybel for helping get this salsa right. Deviated a bit by adding extra cilantro. Definitely could have taken more heat, but excellent none the less. Wife was raving, and already rearranged dinner plans this week to have me cook more fish and use the salsa again! :) Highest compliment I can ever hear.

Also....please correct me if this is not a "salsa". Not sure if its technically salsa verde or something else. Delicious, whatever it's technically called.

Started with fresh ingredients....plus some cilantro and veg oil not shown. S&P to taste.
image_zps5e086b04.jpg

image_zpse6a3a2c6.jpg

image_zps3f1cd60c.jpg

Fish was beautiful golden brown. A bit spicy with blackened seasoning. Not a great pic in the fish cage, but you get the point.
image_zps8027458c.jpg

My tacos with a little bit of sour cream and cheese.
image_zps88475144.jpg

My wife's with just fish and salsa.
image_zps966e4bbb.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Looks like salsa to this Texas boy...and a damn good one at that!

Looks great! I've been wanting to try fish taco's on the grill. What is the seasoning on the tilapia?

Looks great! I've been wanting to try fish taco's on the grill. What is the seasoning on the tilapia?

Blackened Redfish Magic. Done by Chef Paul Prudhomme??? Not sure if I should know that name, but it's awesome seasoning, and I never cook fish without it on there. Coulda grilled it a little hotter for some blackened crispy edges, but grill was cruising at about 250-300 and the fish basket doesnt let me close the lid. No biggie. still delicious.

I would hit that hard Care to share the salsa recipe

Simple...steal it from Tonybel! ha

It was just 2 jalapenos (shoulda done 3 like he said), 1 pablano...both seeded but seeds = more heat if you want it. 4 tomatillos, 1/2 red onion, 1/2 bunch of cilantro, green onions, 4 cloves of garlic. Salt to flavor. 1/4 cup veg oil.

Just charred everything to skin peppers and add some smoke to it all. I didnt use wood but sure most would. It's somewhere between a solid and a liquid, and delicious all around. Got crazy week at work but planning to sneak in another fish cook asap so the salsa doesnt go bad.

Looking good man. I usually make a thinner green sauce, mix in some stock. Gonna have to try this thick version out.

Looking good man. I usually make a thinner green sauce, mix in some stock. Gonna have to try this thick version out.

Thanks. Never considered stock. It was a nice consistency. if you turned a spoon of it sideways it would hold for a second but eventually slide off. I think the amount of fresh cilantro was the real thickening agent. Everything else was grilled and soft. Cilantro still had crisp in it. Didn't expect this great of a result on first run.

Dang good lookin tacos there.
That salsa sounds amazing, thanks for the recipe

Back