• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

WSM top for a UDS??

scm1226

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Strange I know But i have fallen into a top from a friends WSM (some warranty issue). Has anyone ever used the top for a UDS??? If so have any pictures?
Thanks,

Lots of folks use them on drums. It takes some specific size drum or you will need to modify the top of the drum to make it fit, but it works well.

Yep, I have one on mine. It didn't fit around the "rolled" top of my drum and since I also use this lid for my OTS at times, I didn't want to modify it. So instead, I just welded on some short tabs inside the drum at the top to prevent the lid from falling off. Basically, my lid sits directly on top of the rolled bead at the top of the drum.

You can see the tabs in this photo....the ones that run vertically.....hard to see. I wish I had better pic.
IMG_4554.jpg

As you can see, the Weber lid sits on the top of the rolled edge.
IMG_4571.jpg

Yep, I have one on mine. It didn't fit around the "rolled" top of my drum and since I also use this lid for my OTS at times, I didn't want to modify it. So instead, I just welded on some short tabs inside the drum at the top to prevent the lid from falling off. Basically, my lid sits directly on top of the rolled bead at the top of the drum.

You can see the tabs in this photo....the ones that run vertically.....hard to see. I wish I had better pic.
IMG_4554.jpg

As you can see, the Weber lid sits on the top of the rolled edge.
IMG_4571.jpg

Is that a WSM or OTS top? Looks like a kettle top.

Strange I know But i have fallen into a top from a friends WSM (some warranty issue). Has anyone ever used the top for a UDS??? If so have any pictures?
Thanks,

Just to make sure. You are talking about a 22.5" WSM top, aren't you?

Is that a WSM or OTS top? Looks like a kettle top.

:doh:

:crazy:

Sorry. Yep....it's from my OTS. TOTALLY misread the OP. My fault.....
I read it as "Weber" top.

:tsk: Dumbarse......:tape:

The lid of a Kettle and a WSM are formed differently.

A kettle lid fits over the bowl, and a WSM fits into the center section and will not fit its own base. A kettle lid will fit the base of a WSM.

IMG_1637_1.jpg

IMG_4355.jpg

IMG_4344.jpg

IMG_4196.jpg

IMG_4193.jpg

I have yet to find an open 55 gallon drum that will accept a kettle lid without the soon to be patented swamprb Kettle Flange mod or flaring the lip of the kettle lid to fit.

100_1640.jpg

100_1639.jpg

Mine are removable to utilize the drum lid, rotisserie rings or the Weber lid.

100_1638.jpg

100_1644.jpg

The majority of closed drums that I have built have been able to accept the Weber lids without any mods. Just be sure to cut the top off inside the lip edge of the barrel.

100_2335.jpg

100_2246.jpg

The lids of a Smokey Joe will fit on 15 gallon drums.

IMG_0384.jpg

And my 26.75" Weber Bar-B-Q-Kettle lid fits on my 85 gallon drum.

I also have an open 30 gallon drum that is too wide for the 18" Weber lids but the flange mod will take care of the fit issue. I'll probably make that a Winter project.

YMMV

So to answer the original question - IMO, No - the WSM lid will not fit or be a suitable lid for a Drum Smoker. (but you can send it to me and I'll trade you a kettle for it!)

Thanks for the responses. I will however play around with it this summer, I will send you the pics if I come up with anything. My UDS currently has a otg lid, not a great fit though, we shall see.
Thanks,

My 22.5" Weber kettle lids fit my drums perfect, no mods or anything. I am told that if you get drums with a bolt on locking ring instead of a clamp on locking ring it will fit. These drums contained food grade grease and had the bolted locking ring.
RockyMount201190.jpg

RockyMount2011111.jpg

I use Weber lids on all mine. The only modification i made was to bend out the lip on the lid and then tap it back in place with a rubber hammer.

My 22.5" Weber kettle lids fit my drums perfect, no mods or anything. I am told that if you get drums with a bolt on locking ring instead of a clamp on locking ring it will fit. These drums contained food grade grease and had the bolted locking ring.
RockyMount201190.jpg

RockyMount2011111.jpg

Nice setup!

I have (and had) drums that had both the bolt on and clamp on styles of lid rings and none of them fit the kettle lids. Early on in my drum smoker journey I used lube barrels with plastic bladders to hold the grease and they had had the bolted rings.

But looking at yours the opening is nothing like the ones I've used or seen at the local drum and barrel recycler. Nice to know they are out there!

IMG_3565.jpg

I still feel the drum lids cook best!

Better
Does anyone have an answer to the OP? That would be better. A 22.5 inch weber Smokey mountain Top on a UDS.? Don't want to get rid of a WSM top, want to put it to use.

Yes, as a matter of fact I did read the original post.
And tried to show with pics the reasons a WSM lid will not fit. Now if someone else has any ideas, I'd like to see them. I have one idea, but its just a brain fart.

The lid of a Kettle and a WSM are formed differently.

A kettle lid fits over the bowl, and a WSM fits into the center section and will not fit its own base. A kettle lid will fit the base of a WSM.

So to answer the original question - IMO, No - the WSM lid will not fit or be a suitable lid for a Drum Smoker.

Better
Does anyone have an answer to the OP? That would be better. A 22.5 inch weber Smokey mountain Top on a UDS.? Don't want to get rid of a WSM top, want to put it to use.

What part of my response in thread #10 don't we understand (besides not wanting to trade)?

just sayin'

I hear yeah swamp and I appreciate your responses. Trade really? Thought up you were joking. I don't think the shipping costs would be worth it.

I hear yeah swamp and I appreciate your responses. Trade really? Thought up you were joking. I don't think the shipping costs would be worth it.

Here is something for you to consider-

Since you already have the 22" WSM lid, check with Weber to see how much it would cost to buy a center section, bowl, everything to make a smoker-it will be the best pit on your deck. It might cost almost the same as a new one, but you won't be disappointed. You never know?

I'll bet you can sell the lid on craigslist for $75, there are guys out there like me that have had warranty issues (like my out of round center section that I converted to a rotisserie) I could use the lid on my center and set it on a Performer or kettle. Yea shipping would be a $$$ pita.

Go simple on the Drum, check out the Big Drum Smoker site and look at the various cook pics. All mine are BDS clones and I couldn't be happier with the design.

Back