Knife brand selection

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
This has been discussed before, but lots of new members with fresh ideas now.

I am gonna treat myself to a new 8" chef's knife for Father's Day.
Someone has to look out for me :redface:
Will be used only for "special" prep work and by me only!

Vacillating between Henckels and Wüsthof.
I do not want to venture into obscure brands.
This may grow into a set some day if Karen will just win the lottery for once :lol:
Price is always a concern, but "value" and "quality" are paramount.

Lot's of them available on EBay at prices that seem competetive.

Thoughts?????

Second question--"steel" vs "ceramic"???
Have used a "steel" for years.
Differences or advantages to "ceramic".

Thanks,

TIM

I've been real happy with my Henkles. I got the set on closeout through Amazon.com. They are the less expensive line(one guy holding a pitchfork instead of 2 guys). But they have the wood handles which I prefer. Go somewhere (local knife shop) so you can hold them. They're both equal in my opinion. Get which you like best in your hand.

Ty is right on--hold them before you buy them. Knives as you know, are very personal choices.
I have both Henkles and Wusthof and like them both. One of my current favorites is the 7 inch [I think] Wusthof Santuko. The granton relief along the edge make it a pleasure to use. It is a light blade, and in my opinion it will not do every thing a "real " chef's knife will.

As far a ceramic? I understand that they break easy. That is a no-go for me, cause I am too clumbsy to work with a breakable knife.:shock:

I was not clear.:redface:

"As far a ceramic? I understand that they break easy. That is a no-go for me, cause I am too clumbsy to work with a breakable knife.:shock:"

I was referring to the "honing" sticks, or whatever folks want to call them :lol:

Sorry.

TIM

Sorry, Kapn. Ceramic honing sticks? Personally, I like them. I used steels for years too, and still do, but the ceramic seems to me to put a finer edge on.

I love steel, and have a drawer full to prove it.

Fro the $, and given my choice, it's Henckels 4 star. It fits in my hand well, holds a good edge. I like the Wusthof, a lot, but the 4 star just feels better in my hand.

There are exceptions. I boutght a Farberware Santoku for under $10 to see how I liked the knife. I've never felt the need to 'upgrade' to a Hanckel. It's not my most used knife and I bought two more to keep one in Austin, DFW, and San Antonio.

When you start looking at quality knives the bottom line is 'use'. You and your personality you will take good care of it. In your shoes I'd go with that was comfortable in my hand, and then look at price. With good steel it's something you will have for a long time.

The_Kapn said:
I was not clear.:redface:

"As far a ceramic? I understand that they break easy. That is a no-go for me, cause I am too clumbsy to work with a breakable knife.:shock:"

I was referring to the "honing" sticks, or whatever folks want to call them :lol:

Sorry.

TIM

Kitchen knives go to a pro and I pay $1-3 per knife every year or so depending on how much I use each knife.

Fighting knives from back in the day when I had illusions of fighting to the death. I do them myself with a mix of ceramic and diamond stones.:roll:

Jorge said:
Kitchen knives go to a pro and I pay $1-3 per knife every year or so depending on how much I use each knife.

Fighting knives from back in the day when I had illusions of fighting to the death. I do them myself with a mix of ceramic and diamond stones.:roll:

I am with Jorge here. My kitchen knives all go to a pro about once a year for a good sharpening. I keep them sharp by honing frequently--as in every time I use them, essentially. I even hone my steak knives before putting them on the table. [no serrated edges, I hate serrations on steak knives, and no rounded points either.] Sometimes I even break out my grandfather's leather strop and dress the edges with that. [mostly for show, though]

I got a block set of JA Henkel Twin signature knives for xmas along with a caphalon 6" santoku and a 10" chef knife. left the caphalon chef knife at my mothers because she did not have a good knife when ever i was there doin the cookin. and i just bought a 8" slicer from caphalon for about 30 bucks. very heavy and feel good in my hand. I use steel for honing. but will probably take them to get sharpened bout once a year if i can find a place.

Japanese steel knives can be very hard and either ...

... high maintenance or not. They can be extremely sharp and hold their edges longer. When they do need to be sharpened, you can do it with a few professional waterstones and a bit of practice. The harder they are (Rockwell #'s) the harder they are to sharpen.

Take a look at Kershaw Shun if you do not want to go far away from the mainstream. Their Pro and Classic Series have some nice selections. You can also talk to them on their toll free line and ask some specific application questions. They will sharpen their knives anytime for no charge if you ship them to their plant in Oregon.

Regards,

I have an 8" Wusthof and love it. Keeps a great edge, and is perfectly balanced (for me). It goes to Ambosi's twice a year for sharpening.

Off the subject a little but since there are some posts about sharpening.

I was hunting one year and left my stones, sticks, and steel at home.
One of my buddies showed me a trick that really worked.

Roll down your car window (not all the way down) and you can use
the top edge of the window to hone a nice edge on your knife.

Tim, I'd agree with the majority here. Go to the local BB&B or other type store and just see which one fits your hand the best. I've got the Henckels that I bought awhile back when the local BB&B store had a special of buying so much and getting a couple things free. I got a combination of the 4star and Pro S series. I think I'm leaning toward the 4star, I just like the handles better I think.
As far as the difference between Steel or ceramic. I think ceramic hones finer but it's more sucseptible to cracking and damage. I've used ceramic sticks to hone some of my pocket knives in the past. I couldn't really tell a difference when cuting anything between a ceramic stick or a steel. I've pretty much been a whetstone man myself.

Q_Egg said:
... high maintenance or not. They can be extremely sharp and hold their edges longer. When they do need to be sharpened, you can do it with a few professional waterstones and a bit of practice. The harder they are (Rockwell #'s) the harder they are to sharpen.

Take a look at Kershaw Shun if you do not want to go far away from the mainstream. Their Pro and Classic Series have some nice selections. You can also talk to them on their toll free line and ask some specific application questions. They will sharpen their knives anytime for no charge if you ship them to their plant in Oregon.

Regards,

Interesting--I researched them.
WOW--High end quality, High end workmanship, and High end price :redface:
May have to pass for now and save my nickels :lol:

Thanks!!!

TIM

Great that you were able to include them in your .....

..... decision process. I actually picked up a couple on eBay at much lower prices, but I'm sure you know that some risk can be involved. I stay with Sellers that have 99+ ratings over a large number of transactions in order to stay out of trouble. Good luck with your final decision!

Later on, there are two very good sources you may want to check now and then. I have found some of their phone-contact people to be very knowledgeable.

japanwoodworker.com AND japanesecutlery.com

The key is to stay close to more traditional Chef knife sizes and shapes until developing a real need for some of their more exotic designs like Deba or Usuba. Santoku is a much safer bet since Henckel and others sell many of this style.

Go try the Shuns before you pass... roughly the same as the good Wustofs, but, for my money, the better knife. I've been building my collection... There are better knives, but not for the money, I don't think.

For what its worth I get my knives shapened at Ambrose Bros and they sell Wustof, Global anbd Shun, the 3 top rated knives, I asked the guy what knives he likes the best. He said, Wustof are the hardest to sharpen. I said so does that mean they also are the hardest to dull. He smile and said but we also have some other wonderful knives. So basicly he like the Wustof the best and so do I. What ever you get look for a comfortable forged blade.

Tim,

Whichever manufacturer you decide on please consider a Santoku instead of a regular chef's knife. The serations on a Chefs knife decrease the friction and the meat making a better cut. IMHO the Santoku is a touch more versatile.

Sawdustguy said:
Tim,

Whichever manufacturer you decide on please consider a Santoku instead of a regular chef's knife. The serations on a Chefs knife decrease the friction and the meat making a better cut. IMHO the Santoku is a touch more versatile.

Agree. I got a 7" Santoku a few months ago and like it a lot. Nice balance. Hardly use the chef's knife anymore.

Sawdustguy said:
Tim,

Guy, I love my Santoku's, but I still think a traditional Chef's knife has advantages. I would NEVER bang through a chicken back with my santoku, or use it to trim bony ribs. I trust my traditional chef's knives with heavier blades to do those jobs with out damage to the blade.
I think what I am saying is that I really like to use the santoku for a lot of stuff, trimming veggies, dicing and slicing, etc, but there are still jobs where a French Chef's knife does better. [aside-a really good Japanese clever will do all that stuff as well as a chef's knife-so maybe a combo of a santoku and a cleaver........

Back