• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Help with chicken

Smok'n Quack

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I hate chicken but I need to learn how to cook it for an upcoming cook off. I have to turn in a half a bird. The chicken really needs to be "Texas style". I need cook times and temps. I am going to do a trail run on Sunday and am planning to use a commercail rub. Any advice or help is appreciated.

JK....i know chicken in several cooking methods but have no clue what you mean by "Texas Style".

All i know how to do is make good bird, so that i can help with...don't know or get into comps though

Brine it
Blu's Bird Brine

1/2 gal water
1/4 cup pickle or table salt
1/4 cup honey
1 tbl cider vinegar
1 tbl Louisiana style hot sauce
juice of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lime
Brine the poultry for 1 hr per lb rinse air dry in the refer for 4 hrs to over night.

Rub it I use mayornise( Dukes) and mix my rub with it to get a tender skin for the plastic knife & fork
BBQ Chicken Rub

Morton salt Co
Ingredients 4 Tbsp Morton ® Kosher Salt
1 Tbsp Ground Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Paprika
1 Tbsp Chili Powder

Directions MIX all ingredients in a bowl.
RUB seasoning onto meat, 2-3 Tablespoons per pound of chicken or as desired.

Cook indirect at 325 until you hit 175 in the thigh ( about 1 hr and a few min)
Clique the pic

I would agree with BluDawg, brining changes everything when smoking chicken. It keeps it moist and adds flavor as well. Although BluDawg gave you a couple suggestions for brine, there are tons of different brine recipes to start with and you can change them to suit your needs at will. Just make sure you try them as they are before you change anything..

Just look at the moisture running out of BluDawgs Chicken.!!!!! My mouth is watering..

I smoke my chicken and them move it over a hot charcoal grill to crisp the skin, I am sure others have different suggestions.

Last edited:
I cut mine in half, brine it overnight in a simple mixture of even parts salt and sugar, about a half cup of each then about a quarter cup of John Henry's Pecan Rub. The day of the cook pull it out of the brine, and pat the skin down very good with paper towels to try and get most of the moisture out of the skin. I then pull the skin back on the breast and spread garlic salt and more Pecan rub, then pull the skin back and pin it. Then I'll sprinkle a bit of Montreal chicken rub on the outside then throw them on the Weber kettle with the charcoal on one side and the chicken on the other. Position the breast facing away from charcoal as the legs need more heat than the breast does. Position your lid where the exhaust is over the chicken so it draws the smoke over the bird before it escapes. Throw some wood chips on your coals and cook till it probes 155-ish in the breast. Then start putting your sauce/glaze on it. I usually do one coat, let it set up and come back again and do another coat. give it another 5 minutes then pull it off to rest. Here is a pic of the last comp style chicken I did.

i-nrgJVFH-XL.jpg

Back