Do you use your kettle lid when cooking hot and fast (steaks, burgers, dogs, etc.)?

L

LoveBBQ

I just built my UDS and made it so that I can grill like a kettle as well. I'm still trying to get the hang of cooking with charcoal, but it is coming along pretty well. I do better on the longer cooks. So that brings me to my question.

When you cook something like steaks that are only on for a short period of time do you bother putting the lid on your kettle?

Cooking a steak to medium rare only takes a couple of minutes indirect and then a quick sear over the coals. Seems like it would be easier just to leave it off.

I just built my UDS and made it so that I can grill like a kettle as well. I'm still trying to get the hang of cooking with charcoal, but it is coming along pretty well. I do better on the longer cooks. So that brings me to my question.

When you cook something like steaks that are only on for a short period of time do you bother putting the lid on your kettle?

Cooking a steak to medium rare only takes a couple of minutes indirect and then a quick sear over the coals. Seems like it would be easier just to leave it off.

You are correct, sir.

I sometimes put wood chips on the coals when grilling steaks and will use the cover to allow more smoke flavor into the meat.

In my experience when cooking fatty meat direct, if you cover it, it can get away from you quick. A fat fire will start and burn your precious steaks...YMMV.

Using the lid on a Weber kettle is the sure fire way to prevent flare ups. It limits the amount of o2 the fire can get. Of course, that also limits the heat.

But yes, I use the lid when I cook steaks or burgers.

Hot dogs get boiled.

I use the lid every time I fire up my Weber kettle, for both direct and indirect grilling. I also favor cooking at temperature quite a bit lower that the "surface of the sun" temp that many seem to like using when doing direct grilling. I find I can control the cooking process much easier and the end results are much more flavorful and juicy than when not using the lid.

Your lid's not just a rain cover! :becky:

Using the lid on a Weber kettle is the sure fire way to prevent flare ups. It limits the amount of o2 the fire can get. Of course, that also limits the heat.

But yes, I use the lid when I cook steaks or burgers.

Hot dogs get boiled.

I use the lid every time I fire up my Weber kettle, for both direct and indirect grilling. I also favor cooking at temperature quite a bit lower that the "surface of the sun" temp that many seem to like using when doing direct grilling. I find I can control the cooking process much easier and the end results are much more flavorful and juicy than when not using the lid.

Your lid's not just a rain cover! :becky:

If you are only cooking the meat for less than 6 minutes per side, I personally think it is better to do it uncovered and watching it. This is especially true on gassers.

No lid for steaks in my opinion also, in fact I would say I rarely use my lid for anything except chicken and sometimes sausage. You have to be careful using it to control flare ups cause it will soot your meat if you cover up to put one out. I find it better to just move stuff around if possible or spray some water.

Due to the distance above the heat source, only lid open. On a kettle at 6 inches from heat is a different answer. We won't go there.

My 2 cents... If it's thicker than the palm of your hand (when looking at it from the side) then it gets the lid. Thinner than your palm, no lid. The exception is to keep flare-ups at bay, then use that lid.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I figured opinions would vary on this, but I will try without the lid next time and see how it goes.

It depends what I'm cooking. If it's something that's only on for a minute or two, I don't bother with the lid. If it's on for a few minutes though, I use the lid because it helps to cook it faster.

My 2 cents... If it's thicker than the palm of your hand (when looking at it from the side) then it gets the lid. Thinner than your palm, no lid. The exception is to keep flare-ups at bay, then use that lid.

^Bingo!

Back