Discussion Thread -> "For The Love of Gravy!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Where did you find Chantrels in Lauderdale or did you fly them in?Some impressive food once again JED.Whats next....some fresh porchinis, morrels or white Italian truffles shaved table side, I think foie gras is still legal in FL., yet Beluga caviar is not(I ate so much of that back in the day, man those were the days paired with MOET.We called it on the job training) or maybe fresh Dover Sole and are you certified for Fugu?Perhaps completing the evening with a cup of fresh brewed kopi luwak.

My dinner tonight was a bowl of barely cooked veggies. with some bow ties.(DRs. order)

Where did you find Chantrels in Lauderdale or did you fly them in?Some impressive food once again JED.Whats next....some fresh porchinis, morrels or white Italian truffles shaved table side, I think foie gras is still legal in FL., yet Beluga caviar is not(I ate so much of that back in the day, man those were the days paired with MOET.We called it on the job training) or maybe fresh Dover Sole and are you certified for Fugu?Perhaps completing the evening with a cup of fresh brewed kopi luwak.

My dinner tonight was a bowl of barely cooked veggies. with some bow ties.(DRs. order)
Chantrels were from Costco, believe it or not. Dover Sole is my favorite but I won't ever pay the price for it here again. Last time ended up with frozen mush! Yuck

Dang Jed as usual, that looks amazing!

Adding the Chantrel's was the true topper there.

Chantrels were from Costco, believe it or not. Dover Sole is my favorite but I won't ever pay the price for it here again. Last time ended up with frozen mush! Yuck
Would that be the Costco at 595? If so go figure.

Guys, please take the discussion of the non-entry to the off topic discussion thread.

Once again Jed you scare the pants off of me and keep me from entering.
I may have to try it pant-less though.

Great cook, and looks wonderful.

This will be my entry in the throwdown. I did a Swiss steak yesterday.

Trimmed the fat from some beef bottom round steaks.
838s.jpg

I cut the steaks into smaller portions and then worked out my frustrations on them. In hindsight, I probably should have cooked this on Friday.
i67c.jpg

Dredged the steaks in flour.
9pnl.jpg

Gathered up the remaining ingredients to take outside.
xpfj.jpg

Browned both sides of the steaks in the dutch oven. It was very cool and somewhat windy yesterday. I had a horrible time getting things up to temperature even with using my Chargriller as a wind block. :mmph:
1z8h.jpg

Sauteed the aromatics for a bit and then combined the rest of the ingredients.
wvhr.jpg

After submerging the steaks in the liquid, I closed up the dutch oven to cook for about an hour and half.
v8of.jpg

Plated up and enjoyed. This will be my entry shot.
og1t.jpg

Thanks for looking.

MadCityJim's Sunday Gravy

Here is my take on a traditional Italian Sunday Gravy. We actually make this several times a year, but we don’t always put this many kinds of meat in it. And I don’t always sear off the meats on the kettle. But for special occasions, this is the only way to go:

Here we go:
Beef Brociole: Pounded out round steak stuffed with garlic, parsley, Romano, and Parmesan.
Gravy-01.jpg

Here are the meats ready for the grill. Beef Braciole, Ribs, Meatballs, Italian Sausage and the onions.
Gravy-02.jpg

Here’s a shot of everything on the grill. Well, not everything, there were 3 batches tonight.
Gravy-03.jpg

Here’s the pile of meat off the grill:
Gravy-04.jpg

The caramelized onions are chopped up and added to the tomatoes along with a whole head of garlic. Salt, pepper, and oregano round out the seasoning.
Gravy-05.jpg

The meats in the pool for a 4-5 hour cook.
Gravy-06.jpg

Here it is all plated up and ready to bring to the table.
Gravy-07.jpg

And here is my entry photo:
Gravy-08.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I love Braciole. In a Major way! That is why the special rules included gravy the "Italian Way" Thanks for all your efforts, may they not be in vain! Great Job!
Jed

No Mas Pantalones!

Last minute entry.
Like I said, Jed's cooking scared the pants off of me, but I cooked anyway.
Today I cooked Stuffed leg of lamb with a orange gravy.....
The double entry.

First open the leg up with some cuts into the meat.

View attachment 86836

Lamb, mushrooms, onion, garlic, parsley, spices, oranges and some bread.

View attachment 86834

Chop everything up, sauté the onions and garlic.

View attachment 86835

Toss in the mushrooms and cook until the liquid is gone. Add the bread, parsley, spices and orange zest.

View attachment 86838

Lay it all nice up in the leg.

View attachment 86837

Roll it tight and tie.
I put some of the trimmed fat across the top so it could render for the gravy and flavor the stuffing.

View attachment 86839

Like I said, Jed's cooking skills can sometimes scare the pants off of me, so I kept a good eye out for him.

View attachment 86840

My meat is done and will rest while I make the gravy.

View attachment 86841

Pour the drippings into a pan, make a rue and add some beef stock and reduce.

View attachment 86842
View attachment 86843

Add a chopped up orange and sauté for a Mountie or so.

View attachment 86847

On the platter,

View attachment 86844

And the plate

View attachment 86845

This was delicious!
Thanks for looking.

Please use this as my entry picture

View attachment 86845

Last edited:
Wow! some great late entries!!!

Oh and Jed, stop scaring folks. I didn't need to see a fish in underwear.... :twitch::tsk:

Wow! some great late entries!!!

Oh and Jed, stop scaring folks. I didn't need to see a fish in underwear.... :twitch::tsk:

I didn't know that fish wore underwear! And I didn't need to know! :-D

Back